Advancement quiz questions

CNY

The reason I added the Unit Money Earning application was so to make the following BSA policy available for the quiz. I am adding the unerline so that you see the pertainent portion.

7. Will the fund-raising project avoid soliciting

money or gifts?

The BSA Rules and Regulations state, Youth

members shall not be permitted to serve as solicitors

of money for their chartered organizations, for the

local council, or in support of other organizations.

Adult and youth members shall not be permitted

to serve as solicitors of money in support of

personal or unit participation in local, national, or

international events.

The Eagle candidates Service project is a personal event done in support of another organization. The local council SE has NO AUTHORITY to countermand or circumvent ANY part of the Rules and Regulations of the BSA.

eolesen is only partly correct. While the benefiting organization can stipulate the retricitions on the fundraising involving the use of THEIR name and images, the benefitting organization has no authority to tell the scout how he can use of not use the name and images of the Boy Scouts of America.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah yeah yeah! Ya can't subscribe to "an Eagle project is outside the sphere of Scouting" then apply Scouting rules to it! That's like saying one has to wear a seat belt while walking down the street! Plus, the Scout is most likely asking for materials & supplies & not money! Don't see any restrictions on that!

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

Too many conflicting interpretations,

Its kind of like interpreting the US Constitution, it depends on how narrow or broad a meaning you give to things.

In an Eagle Service project an event?

When I read this I think of an event as something like going to Jambo or Seabase or summer camp, not an Eagle Service project.

In a broad interpretation an Eagle project could be a personnel event but what I read into this is that an individual Scout can not raise funds for himself to attend something.

On the other hand, cant materials and supplies be seen as gifts?

If an Eagle project is outside the sphere of Scouting why cant money be solicited? (as long as its done in the name of the other organization)

In the Eagle Scout Leadership Service Project Workbook it does stay that fund-raising is permitted only for securing materials or supplies needed to carry out your project.

It would seem that a Scout could say that they were doing a project for the XYZ Organization as an Eagle Scout project.

When my son gets back from summer camp he will begin the process for his Eagle project.

I am still not sure about this one but I think the important thing is that myself and my son know exactly what our District looks for in a Eagle Service Project.

Our district (Ok I know, not a National document but it does show how our district interprets these policies) has put out a Life to Eagle Mentor book that puts all of this type of information on the Eagle process in one place.

It also gives guidelines on what the District EBOR looks for in an Eagle Project.

Under fundraising it states:

The project may not be a fund-raiser. It may be necessary, however, to engage in fund-raising activities in order to facilitate the purchase of materials or supplies necessary to carry out the project. In that instance the Scout should advertise this fund-raising as benefiting his Eagle Scout project.

Donations of materials or supplies may be requested. Funds (cash) may not be directly solicited.

"If an Eagle project is outside the sphere of Scouting why cant money be solicited? (as long as its done in the name of the other organization)"

It can be

"In the Eagle Scout Leadership Service Project Workbook it does stay that fund-raising is permitted only for securing materials or supplies needed to carry out your project.

It does, but you are misunderstanding what they passage is about. It is instructing the scout that the project itself cannot be a fundraiser.

"In that instance the Scout should advertise this fund-raising as benefiting his Eagle Scout project.

Donations of materials or supplies may be requested. Funds (cash) may not be directly solicited.

Your council/district instructions are contrary to the fundraing policies of the BSA and they have no authority to alter those rules.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Let's look at this from the perspective of an Eagle candidate. If the Eagle Scout materials from national and council are in conflict, that is their problem to work out, not a 15 or 16-year-old boy's, and not his parents or mentors. As a practical matter, it is the District Advancement Chair that has the ultimate signoff in this process. All that national sees is the fully signed application; they don't even know what the project was, much less how it was done. Therefore, it makes sense for the Scout to follow the same guidelines that the District Advancement Chair is following, and that would be the council guidelines.(This message has been edited by njcubscouter)

Actually it is the council advancement chair at the council level that is the ultimate sign off. Yes, the council volunteers, regardless of what committee they serve on, have a responsibility to know their jobs their resposnibilities and the rules, regulations and policies that effect them...just as a unit leader does.

So to say that the mentor, who is usually a scout leader isn't responsible for knowing this is a hard sell indeed, how in fact can the person mentor if they are not knowledgable and current with the procedures involved?

You can't just say that "oh the council volunteers should know what they are doing not me as a unit leader. You should all know the program, after all you all agreed to follow it, right?(This message has been edited by Bob White)