Advancement quiz questions

Actually I think the minimum time from joinign to reaching eagle is 17 months. They only "timed requirement" from joining to First Class is the 30 day physical fitness requirement, you know, show progress in 30 days? So, a scout joins a troop, does the Scout joining requirements and does the first part of the fitness test and then in the next 29 days does all the requirements for the rest of Tenderfoot to First Class and then on day 30 does the physical fitness requirements, shows improvement and does BORs and Scoutmaster conferences and becomes first class, thats one month. Four months as First class, 6 as star, and 6 as life. Minimal time, 17 months.

Not that I think its a great idea you understand

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While OGE is correct that only physical fitness has a time element lets not forget that the Scout would also need to take part in 10 trrop or patrol activities that includes thre over night outings. Combine that with a weekly troop meeting and that ties up 14 days in a thirty day period. Even the busiest of troops do not have activities going every other day and three weekends a month.

Combine that with the time it would take to learn and apply all the other requirements it truly cannot be accomplished in 30 days.

They might have a hard time fitting in 3 scoutmaster conferences and board of reviews in one night. Many troops only do boards once a month. As BW said getting 3 overnighters and 7 other troop or patrol activities takes some doing. Doing it in four months is pushing it. Five to six months would be a fairly busy scout.

I assume that we were going to come to an agreement that there is more than the Advancement Committee that sets the program at summer camp. But I guess that is not going to happen. I am not one to be combatitive but I also do not take being talked down too. I would request that I be talked to as an adult as I will always talk to you as a adult.. Sometimes we need recall the scout law and oath in our everyday lives, after all how can me set on a board over boys that must live the life when we are not...

A Scout is Trustworthy.

A Scout tells the truth. He is honest, and he keeps his promises. People can depend on him.

A Scout is Loyal.

A Scout is true to his family, friends, Scout leaders, school, and nation.

A Scout is Helpful.

A Scout cares about other people. He willingly volunteers to help others without expecting payment or reward.

A Scout is Friendly.

A Scout is a friend to all. He is a brother to other Scouts. He offers his friendship to people of all races and nations, and respects them even if their beliefs and customs are different from his own.

A Scout is Courteous.

A Scout is polite to everyone regardless of age or position. He knows that using good manners makes it easier for people to get along.

A Scout is Kind.

A Scout knows there is strength in being gentle. He treats others as he wants to be treated. Without good reason, he does not harm or kill any living thing.

A Scout is Obedient.

A Scout follows the rules of his family, school, and troop. He obeys the laws of his community and country. If he thinks these rules and laws are unfair, he tries to have them changed in an orderly manner rather than disobeying them.

A Scout is Cheerful.

A Scout looks for the bright side of life. He cheerfully does tasks that come his way. He tries to make others happy.

A Scout is Thrifty.

A Scout works to pay his own way and to help others. He saves for the future. He protects and conserves natural resources. He carefully uses time and property.

A Scout is Brave.

A Scout can face danger although he is afraid. He has the courage to stand for what he thinks is right even if others laugh at him or threaten him.

A Scout is Clean.

A Scout keeps his body and mind fit and clean. He chooses the company of those who live by high standards. He helps keep his home and community clean.

A Scout is Reverent.

A Scout is reverent toward God. He is faithful in his religious duties. He respects the beliefs of others.

Your's humbally in Scouting,

Jeff

evmori and CalicoPenn

By your logic I can raise funds (or materials) to support our local Hooter Girl's Daycare and be able to identify myself as being a part of the Boy Scouts to do it (after all it is outside the sphere of scouts). If this is not the case, then please explain why the same reasoning will not apply to the scout working on his Eagle project.

Yes you can.

But why would you be raising funds to support the local Hooter Girl's Daycare? An Eagle project can't be for a business so why would you be identifying yourself as a Scouter?

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

My explanation of 17 months was done, as I thought I had indicated, as an esoteric exercise, demonstrating the absolute minimum time. No one is disputing that to do so would take the cooperation of many people and marathon sessions at the end. But I still say its possible, but not likely nor do I think it would be of benefit to the scout. But it is possible, thats all I am saying

How long should it take? Well, as long as the scout needs, with a deadline of the 18th birthday of course, wouldnt want to get gigged by saying as long as the scout needs with the 18th birthday being implied and I would think understood by all who know scouting but that doesnt always work in all situations so I will add the 18th birthday part to be sure I am understood

Actually I did that in the very first post.

In the opening paragraph of this thread I gave two references The Boy Scout Handbook, and the Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures manual, a few posts later I added the Unit Money Earning Application.

I believe you will find those three resources will cover all the questions.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

"But why would you be raising funds to support the local Hooter Girl's Daycare? An Eagle project can't be for a business so why would you be identifying yourself as a Scouter?"

Sheesh! Hooters is a public service. Now that I've learned that they have a daycare facility for the girls that work there, I might just volunteer to be a house boy.

BW,

I have looked through the three resources and have found all of the answers except:

Can a youth identify himself as a Boy Scout when seeking donations for an Eagle Project?

You answered:

NO, a person cannot seek donations for an outside organization using the name and image of the BSA unless it is a BSA activity approved by the council scout executive or the national office of the BSA. Eagle Scout projects are "outside the sphere of scouting"

You have given answers for this question but I couldnt find in the thread where in the resources you gave where you found this answer.

I found in the ACP&P on page 27 where is says that the Eagle project is outside the sphere of Scouting but can not find where it says a person cannot seek donations for an outside organization using the name and image of the BSA unless it is a BSA activity approved by the council scout executive or the national office of the BSA.

Can you give the resource and location of this statement?

jet526 gave a reference to the Bylaws of the Boy Scouts of America but that is not one of the references you said that we could find this in.

Maybe I am just missing it but the closest thing I can find is from the Unit Money-Earning Application #34427B

6. If a commercial product is to be sold, will the fund-raising activity comply with BSA policy on wearing the uniform?

The official uniform is intended to be worn primarily for use in connection with Scouting activities.

However, council executive boards may approve use of the uniform for any fund-raising activity.

I would like to use these questions in training but want to make sure that I have the correct location where to find the answers.

CNYScouter,

You have the correct location. The only problem is if an Eagle project is "outside the sphere of Scouting", the rules for the Unit Money-Earning Application don't apply.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

And yet my council's Trail to Eagle packet states, "If you are raising money for the project, you must fill out and submit a Unit Money Earning Application." A copy of the Application and the BSA guidelines for "unit money-earning projects" are even included in the packet. (Elsewhere in the packet, there is a statement that says you should first try to get funding from the benefiting organization, and there is a strong implication that the money-earning guidelines don't apply in that case, which makes sense.)

Interestingly, I also looked at the national Eagle Scout Leadership Service Project Workbook, and there is no mention of the money-earning guidelines or application. Nevertheless, it would seem like a good idea for an Eagle candidate to do what the council says, since presumably the District Advancement Committee is using that document to determine whether to approve the plan.

However, the really big problem from my perspective is that I know more about what is in these documents than my son does, and last time I checked, he's the one who is going for Eagle, not me. I became a "Life for Life" a long time ago.

"However, the really big problem from my perspective is that I know more about what is in these documents than my son does, and last time I checked, he's the one who is going for Eagle,"

Welcome to the 21st century version of parenting.

Technically, isn't the Scout raising funds on behalf of the group who benefits from the project? Even if the boy identifies himself as Life Scout working on an Eagle project, it doesn't change the fact that the end beneficiary is the group or organization whom the project is for, not the Scout or his unit. Therefore, any restrictions on fundraising would need to be stated by the beneficiaries of the project, and not the Council.(This message has been edited by eolesen)