Advancement quiz questions

Wonder when the answers will appear? Maybe we will be given nothing more than manual & page references & have to look them up ourselves. That wouldn't surprise me!

Here we are like birds in the wilderness

Waiting for the answers!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see if I can fix a few of my prior answers, here are the nine I believe I missed.

Who sits on a board of review for the ranks or Tenderfoot through First Class? 3-6 unit (troop or team) committee members. Unit leaders, assistant unit leaders, relatives, or guardians are excluded from serving on the board.

Except for merit badges who can sign a scout's advancement requirements? The Scoutmaster or a person that the Scoutmaster delegates.

Can a scout sign his own handbook? Only if the Scoutmaster gives the scout this authority.

How many elective merit badges must a scout complete to earn the Star Rank? The requirement states: "Earn 6 merit badges, including 4 from the required list for Eagle." There is no mention of elective merit badges. I don't find a "elective merit badge" defined in the requirements. Six Eagle required merit badges include 4. Based on the handbook and requirements as written the answer is zero.

For which merit badge can a scoutmaster automatically counsel because he is a Scoutmaster? There are none, a Scoutmaster is not automatically a merit badge counselor.

Who is responsible for training unit leaders about the BSA advancement program? The district or council advancement committee.

Who is responsible for the merit badge program at a local summer camp? "The procedures for advancement in summer camp are established by the council advancement committee in cooperation with the committee responsible for summer camp, the camp director, and the program director." So all four entities have responsibility, but ultimately the council advancement committee.

How many personal references must a scout supply on his Eagle Application? The requirements state: "List the names of individuals who know you personally and would be willing to provide a recommendation on your behalf, including parents/guardians, religious, educational, and employer references." The application states: "List the names of individuals who know you personally and would be willing to provide a recommendation on your behalf". And then provides spaces for: "Parents/guardians, Religious; Educational; Employer (if any); and Two other references". So, while every scout has a parent/guardian but that parent/guardian could also be the religious and educational references and the employer reference would only apply if one exists, the minimum number that must be supplied is one.

How many references must the scout obtain for the Eagle board of review? None, it is the council advancement committee's or its designee's responsibility to obtain the references. (This message has been edited by jet526)

Yes, it's the work in between the creates learning. As Jet said "Now I get to spend the day rereading the Handbook and I'll have to make a special trip down to Council to get a copy of the ACPP instead of letting it wait until the next time I'm down there."

Of the answers you provided this one is still incorrect

How many personal references must a scout supply on his Eagle Application?

The scout must provide the names and contact information for 6 references if he is employed, 5 if he is not.

Parent/guardian

Educational

Religious

Employer

2 others

Common errors on the the other questions

Saying Scout is a rank and counting Palms as ranks

Thinking Sheet Bend is a required knot

Thinking that there are other knots in the camping merit badge or other meritbadges that the scout would need to know for Eagle

Adding the days and night required for Tenderfoot, Second class and first Class together. There are only three night total since joing

Adding the lower rank camping nights to the Camping merit badge and saying that the minimum ims 23 or 26

Many people still believe a merit badge must be finished in 2 years.

Most scouters have no idea what the rules for merit badges are. Parents can be counselors to their sons.

FALSE FALSE FALSE

FALSE FALSE FALSE

Some adults think that other scouts serv onthe board, a practice that changed decades ago.

Anyone the scoutmaster approves can sign for advancement, even other scouts

Even the Scout himself can sign as in the case of Scout Spirit

there are no elective merit badges required a Scout can earn Star and Life using ONLY Eagle required merit badges if he chooses.

NO, A person cannot seek donations for an outside organization using the name and image of the BSA unless it is a BSA activity approved by the council scout executive or the national office of the BSA. Eagle Scout projects are "outside the sphere of scouting"

You must be a registerd anhd approved counselor for each mb you counsel, even if you are a SM.

The District Advancement Committee is responsible for training units regarding the BSA advancement program.

The Council Advancement Committee is responsible for the merit badge and advancement programs at Summer camp.

Answered at the start of the post.

ZERO, it is the council/district advancement committee who is responsible for collecting the references. You cannot postpone or cancel and Eagle board of review for lack of any or all references.

Kudos to anyone who took the time to find the right answers. If you do not know the program you should at least know where to find the program information, If every leader on this and other scouting forums did that there would probably be fewer posts and far more worthwhile ones.

How many personal references must a scout supply on his Eagle Application?

The scout must provide the names and contact information for 6 references if he is employed, 5 if he is not.

Parent/guardian

Educational

Religious

Employer

2 others

Got that correct!

Common errors on the the other questions

Saying Scout is a rank and counting Palms as ranks

Got that correct!

Thinking Sheet Bend is a required knot

Guess I got that correct since I didn't think the sheet bend was required.

Thinking that there are other knots in the camping merit badge or other meritbadges that the scout would need to know for Eagle

Think I got that correct!

Adding the days and night required for Tenderfoot, Second class and first Class together. There are only three night total since joing

Gotta disagree.

Tenderfoot requirement

Spend at least one night on a patrol or troop campout. Sleep in a tent you have helped pitch.

That's one!

2nd Class Requirement

Since joining, have participated in five separate troop/patrol activities (other than troop/patrol meetings), two of which included camping overnight.

That makes three!

1st Class Requirement

Since joining, have participated in ten separate troop/patrol activities (other than troop/patrol meetings), three of which included camping overnight.

That makes six!

Adding the lower rank camping nights to the Camping merit badge and saying that the minimum ims 23 or 26

Guess I got that correct????? What are ims?

Many people still believe a merit badge must be finished in 2 years.

Think I got that correct!

Most scouters have no idea what the rules for merit badges are. Parents can be counselors to their sons.

Got that correct!

FALSE FALSE FALSE

FALSE FALSE FALSE

Two more correct!

Some adults think that other scouts serv onthe board, a practice that changed decades ago.

Guess I got that correct!

Anyone the scoutmaster approves can sign for advancement, even other scouts

Got that correct!

Even the Scout himself can sign as in the case of Scout Spirit

Would disagree. If the SM hasn't given the Scout the authority to sign, then he can't.

there are no elective merit badges required a Scout can earn Star and Life using ONLY Eagle required merit badges if he chooses.

Got that incorrect!

NO, A person cannot seek donations for an outside organization using the name and image of the BSA unless it is a BSA activity approved by the council scout executive or the national office of the BSA. Eagle Scout projects are "outside the sphere of scouting"

Gotta disagree. If the Scout is asked, should he lie or say "I can't tell you"? This is a real misinterpretation. And the answer you give, Bob, is not what you asked.

You must be a registerd anhd approved counselor for each mb you counsel, even if you are a SM.

Got that correct!

The District Advancement Committee is responsible for training units regarding the BSA advancement program.

Got that correct!

The Council Advancement Committee is responsible for the merit badge and advancement programs at Summer camp.

Got that wrong!

Answered at the start of the post.

Got that correct!

ZERO, it is the council/district advancement committee who is responsible for collecting the references. You cannot postpone or cancel and Eagle board of review for lack of any or all references.

Got that correct!

Kudos to anyone who took the time to find the right answers. If you do not know the program you should at least know where to find the program information, If every leader on this and other scouting forums did that there would probably be fewer posts and far more worthwhile ones.

17 out of 19! 89%!

Considering a post not a worthwhile one is, well, you know.

It would have been nice if Bob actually gave us the answers instead of commentary, but then again, it should be expected.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

You are welcome.

The program is riddled with beliefs that either never have existed in the program or no longer exist.

Not enough scout leaders actually read the scout handbook beyond the pages that list the requirements.

And too many scouts have left the program because of leaders like that.

I agree bob. The problem I see is that seasoned scouters (the council and district level too), the ones that new scouters look up to and rely on are the worst at getting these answers wrong.

Seems training needs to directly address this like you have done.

Perhaps a regular section in SCOUTER mag that dispels one myth per issue.

Perhaps a UC program where UCs do the quiz to unit committees or round tables.

Just thinkin out of the box.

Gern

As a Scoutmaster and as a Roundtable Commissioner I regularly used a Question of the Day posted at the door or on a poster board in the meeting room that we then answered at the end of the meeting.

It was an easy way to slide in an extra bit or training in a fun way.

BW

I do not understand you sudden condescending attitude using phrases such as "until the Master gives us the answers" YOU asked for the quiz remember? You aske for the quiz and then you insult me for posting it when you do not like the results. That is hardly hardly courteous. If I knew that was your intention I would not have met your request.

I missed this yesterday. I apologize, referring to you as "the Master" was not intended to be condescending or disrespectful. You have clearly been in the role of a teacher in this, and "the Master" was a failed attempt at humor.

I explained that all the answers are in the BSA resources. You don't need anyone to give you answers, your are free to learn the program on your own simply by reading the answers in the BSA literature.

Which is what I have done, although I've not been able to get to Council to purchase a copy of the ACPP, most of the important bits are out there. I think the hardest to find was who is responsible for the summer camp merit badge program and training unit leaders regarding the BSA advancement program.

Parent/guardian Educational Religious Employer 2 others

As long as it is understood that the parent/guardian may also be the Educational (home schooled) and Religious (not affiliated with a religious group) references. I do wish the Handbook mentioned the 2 others. Since the handbook doesn't they could be interpreted as being "elective" references.

Can a youth identify himself as a Boy Scout when seeking donations for an Eagle Project?

This is already giving me headaches. I got a call from our former CC late last night telling me that in Arizona it is illegal to solicit funds for an organization that you are not a member of and that doing it through the Boy Scouts is how we get around it. I told her I would check with council today, I just have to figure out who at council I need to talk with. Searching the Arizona Revised Statutes, this is not true, the person just needs written permission to do it from the organization.

Anyway. Thank you again for doing this.

evmori:

Adding the days and night required for Tenderfoot, Second class and first Class together. There are only three night total since joing Gotta disagree.

The requirements can be met concurrently. The Second and First Class requirements expressly say "Since joining" not "Since your last rank" or "In addition to". So the night for Tenderfoot is one of the nights for Second Class and the two nights for Second Class are two of the nights for First Class.

You are correct Jet.

As you pointed out the key phrase here is SINCE JOINING. It would seem many adults overlook those two words and only see the numbers.

Scouting is about the outdoors but it is not a camping club. There are lots of things that patrols and troops can do outdoors that will not require spending the night somewhere.

Troops that camp every month often complain about the poor attendance at these activities. They should realize that one of the reasons of the poor attendance could very well be that there is too much camping. I know troops whose meetings consist of nothing that cleaning up from one campout, planning the menu and packing for the next campout.

No wonder Scouts get bored in the first couple of years!

Camping should not be the steady diet for an outdoor program there are too many other things that a patrol or troop could be doing with their time.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

I didn't had time to take the full test, but in looking over the questions, I was in arguing distance of being right on most all of them. I would say I correctly understand the principles, but may not have provided the answer you were looking for.

For example, I was unsure of the Eagle recommendation letters question. I understand that the candidate is not responsible if the letters don't come in, but he is requried to provide the references on the app. I just wasn't sure how to answer the question. (Which, oh by the way, is another complaint I have with our council advancement committee -- they require an Eagle candidate to collect and submit with his application four sealed reference letters. The app is not accepted by the council office without them.)

I would disagree with that a Scout can sign his own handbook. While I understand that the handbook says that a Scout is the best judge of his own Scout spirit, I would call that more of a philosophical discussion rather than a statement of advancement policy. I would defer to the advancement guidelines on the "testing" step of the advancement process.

I'd also quibble with the question about who is responsible for the merit badge program at summer camp. I would say the correct answer is that it is the joint responsibility of the advancement committee, the camp director and program director. But, admittly that's being fairly picky.

Thanks for posting this, Bob. When you brought it up in another thread, I had intended to ask you for it. I like this sort of stuff. We have created a similar Jeopardy-style game for the troop that we've used with categories in advancement, Scout history, first aid, uniforming, OA and all the Scout-skill areas we can work in. It's a great way to make some specific points with the boys without lecturing.

"Uniforming for $400, Alex."

"Answer -- Over the right shoulder, never tucked into the belt."

"What is the correct way to wear a merit badge or OA sash, Alex!"

We will be sure to work some of these questions into this year's version of the game.