Advancement quiz questions

In my best Bill J. Clinton imitation, BW - do you interpret "can" in the correct manner? Anyway, I'll bite.

What is the first Rank in Boy Scouts? - Tenderfoot.

What knots are required for a scout earn First Class Rank? Assuming that the Scout is not give "special" advancement requirements - timber (1) & clove hitch (2) for lashings and bowline (3). This assumes that learning to tie the bandages for the first aid requirements are not considered knots. I did not include any Scout, Tenderfoot or 2nd Class requirements (a Scout may transfer in to our troop as a 2nd Class and I would not retest).

What knots are required for a scout to Earn eagle? Going by the same argument as above - none.

What is the minimum days and nights of camping that a scout needs to earn First Class? Three. {Since joining, have participated in ten separate troop/patrol activities (other than troop/patrol meetings), three of which included camping overnight.}

How many total days and nights of camping does a scout need to progress from Scout to Eagle Scout? 20 - They need to earn the camping merit badge.

How long does a scout have to finish a partial merit badge? Forever is the correct answer. :) You're probably looking for the "before he ages out (18 years of age for most)" answer.

Can a parent be a merit badge counselor for their son? Yes, if a MBC.

True of false...A unit may set an attendance or participation measurement to determine if a scout is "active" in the unit? False. Many do. In our unit, I set participation expectations. This requirement is explained in The Boy Scout Handbook, pg 169 as TO GAIN FULL ADVANTAGE of all Scouting has to offer, you need to be present when things are happening. Take part in meetings, in planning activities, and in the fun of adventures. If youre there, you can do your part to make your patrol and troop a success. However, it does not state specific attendance levels.

True or false...A unit can set an attendance or participation measurement to determine Scout Spirt? True. They can, but they may not.

Who sits on a board of review for the ranks or Tenderfoot through First Class? Troop committee members.

Except for merit badges who can sign a scout's advancement requirements? The Scoutmaster must be in charge of advancement in the troop [Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures, p. 25]. The Scoutmaster Handbook states that a Scouts leader may sign off on requirements. So, whomever the Scoutmaster designates as "leader" may hold this responsibility. It is highly recommended that the Scoutmaster sign off for Scout Spirit and hold Scoutmaster Conferences.

Can a scout sign his own handbook? Yes. May he sign his own handbook? Again, the Scoutmaster must be in charge of advancement in the troop [Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures, p. 25]. The Scoutmaster Handbook states that a Scouts leader may sign off on requirements. So, given the above, I postulate that the Scoutmaster could allow this but I would not. I look at a leader as someone else - youth our adult.

How many elective merit badges must a scout complete to earn the Star Rank? 2 (four Eagle required plus two others which may be other Eagle required).

Can a youth identify himself as a Boy Scout when seeking donations for an Eagle Project? Yes. May he identify himself as a Boy Scout? Yes. It is understood that the Eagle Project is done outside the sphere of Scouting but if asked, yes he may identify himself as such. Should he wear his field uniform (old habits die hard, I hate the term "official") when seeking donations for his Eagle Project? No, unless he is selling Trail's End popcorn, takes the "cash back" option as his prize and uses that for his project!

For which merit badge can a scoutmaster automatically counsel because he is a Scoutmaster? None.

Who is responsible for training unit leaders about the BSA advancement program? The Scoutmaster!! The advancement chair (committee) encourges the scout to advance, keeps advancement records, works with the librarian and scribe but the Scoutmaster is in charge of advancement. The Committee training chair (Training Coordinator) should make sure opportunities for training, training materials, training status, etc. is all available.

Who is responsible for the merit badge program at a local summer camp? Program Director.

How many personal references must a scout supply on his Eagle Application? The application has slots for parents/guardians, religious, educational, employer if any), two other. The requirement itself just states "List the names of individuals who know you personally and would be willing to provide a recommendation on your behalf." My guess, and it is just a guess, is only one.

How many references must the scout obtain for the Eagle board of review? Same as above.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would the Unit Money Earning Application need to be added? There is nothing in these questions that speak to fundraising by Units, only by Eagle Scout candidates - and they aren't required to fill out Unit Money Earning Applications and the rules that apply to fundraising for Units do not apply to Eagle Scout Project fundraising.

Calico

Come on folks. Lets get another contestant on the Scouter is Right!

Actually, this is fun and good for us. Helps us shed some of the old wives tales we have relied on for so long. I have no doubt BW has the correct answers, just itchin to figure out where we failed. The suspense is killing me. I hope it lasts.

True or false...A unit can set an attendance or participation measurement to determine Scout Spirit?

False. Scout Spirit is based on how they live their daily life outside of scouting.

Actually, Scout Spirit is based on how a Scout lives the Oath & Law in his everyday life which includes Scouting!

I'll answer the questions in my next post. But since Bob has me on ignore, I'll never know who many I get wrong!

What is the first Rank in Boy Scouts?

Tenderfoot

What knots are required for a scout earn First Class Rank?

square knot, two half hitches, taut-line hitch, timber hitch, clove hitch, bowline. The only knots are the square & bowline the rest are hitches. Unless you mean uniform knots, then the answer is none.

What knots are required for a scout to Earn eagle?

See the answer to the previous question.

What is the minimum days and nights of camping that a scot needs to earn First Class?

For a Scout, six. No idea how many for a Scot.

How many total days and nights of camping does a scout need to progress from Scout to Eagle Scout?

A total of 20.

How long does a scout have to finish a partial merit badge?

Until his 18th birthday, unless he is disabled then I think until his 21st birthday.

Can a parent be a merit badge counselor for their son?

Sure can!

True of false...A unit may set an attendance or participation measurement to determine if a scout is "acticve" in the unit?

False

True or false...A unit can set an attendance or participation measurement to determine Scout Spirt?

False

Who sits on a board of review for the ranks or Tenderfoot through First Class?

Members of the unit committee.

Except for merit badges who can sign a scout's advancement requirements?

The Scoutmaster or whom ever the Scoutmaster designates.

Can a scout sign his own handbook?

Not sure but I don't think so.

How many elective merit badges must a scout complete to earn the Star Rank?

Two

Can a youth identify himself as a Boy Scout when seeking donations for an Eagle Project?

If asked, yes.

For which merit badge can a scoutmaster automatically counsel because he is a Scoutmaster?

None

Who is responsible for traiing unit leaders about the BSA advancement program?

In my district, the district training committee.

Who is responsible for the merit badge program at a local summer camp?

The Program Director

How many personal references must a scout supply on his Eagle Application?

Six if employed, five if not.

How many references must the scout obtain for the Eagle board of review?

None

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

I think some of the answers you (and I) got wrong will be nits having to do with the wording of the question.

Nits will be present!

Does Bob include hitches with knots or does he mean uniform knots?

What knots are required for a scout earn First Class Rank? square knot, two half hitches, taut-line hitch, timber hitch, clove hitch, bowline. The only knots are the square & bowline the rest are hitches.

Knots, something we can discuss (argue) until the Master gives us the answers. Knot is any of various fastenings formed by looping and tying a rope (or cord) upon itself, to another rope or to another object. All hitches are knots.

CalicoPenn's thought that lashings are knots is interesting. I think of knots as having a standing end, but it is not part of the definition. Based on this, we should extend the list of required knots to include whipping. The requirements do not state what type of whipping should be used, but they would need to know at least one

Jet,

I do not understand you sudden condescending attitude using phrases such as "until the Master gives us the answers" YOU asked for the quiz remember? You aske for the quiz and then you insult me for posting it when you do not like the results. That is hardly hardly courteous. If I knew that was your intention I would not have met your request.

I explained that all the answers are in the BSA resources. You don't need anyone to give you answers, your are free to learn the program on your own simply by reading the answers in the BSA literature.

I would agree jet526, but consider who asked the question, we need to parse as much as possible! After all, there is no COR, just a CR!

LOL!

BTW, I've been biting my tongue about there being 18 questions, there are nineteen.

I think I've identified most of the ones I got wrong but I'm waiting. But we both answered the same on this one: Who sits on a board of review for the ranks or Tenderfoot through First Class? Members of the unit committee.

On reflection it probably needs to be more specific:

After a Scout has completed all requirements for Tenderfoot, Second Class, First Class, Star, and Life ranks, or an Eagle Palm, he appears before a board of review. This board of review is made up of at least three and not more than six members of the troop committee. One member serves as chairman, usually the committee member responsible for advancement. Unit leaders, assistant unit leaders, relatives, or guardians may not serve as members of a Scout's board of review.

That he limited the question to Tenderfoot through First Class excludes the possibility of this being a Venturing Crew.

That's ok because you also had an another anwer incorrect and I wasn't going to mention it till the answers were posted, so you are correct you only had 52% correct and not 61% my apologies for the miscount.

That's ok because you also had an another anwer incorrect and I wasn't going to mention it till the answers were posted, so you are correct you only had 52% correct and not 61% my apologies for the miscount.

:(

Oh, well. Getting things wrong is how you learn.