What do you think is the hardest MB?

The hardest one I think would be composite materials, cause unless you know someone with a lab, it would be pretty hard to do at home, or get lab time to do the stuff.

What do you think is the hardest merit badge to earn?

I haven't read the requirements for all 120 MBs, but of those with which I am familiar, I believe that Backpacking was the toughest. Seems like we'd never finish requirements number 11:

1. Do the following:

a. Write a plan for a backpacking trek of at least five days using at least three different campsites and covering at least 30 miles. Your plan must include a description of and route to the trek area, schedule (including a daily time control plan), list of food and equipment needs, safety and emergency plan, and budget.

b. Using Leave No Trace principles, take the trek planned and, while on the trek, complete at least one service project approved by your merit badge counselor.

c. Upon your return, write a report about the trek that includes a day-by-day description of what you did or what happened, and what you might do the same and what you might do differently on your next trek.

I agree with the second post, I need Emer. Prep. but I don't want to get it, Communications was an easy one though. The 30 mi backpacking trip is nothing I've done multiple trips like that.