Cooking MB required soon?

A member has been to PTC, and received word that National Advancement Committee was preparing changes to the advancement plan. One change was to return Cooking MB to the Eagle Required List.

It's not a done deal for unit serving Scouters and youth in the program until we see it in Requirements #33215.

I'm going to PTC next week. Hopefully I can get an exact status from a National Executive Staffer, which I can post. If I can, I will.

I don't think there is a Life scout in our troop that does not already have cooking just from showing up. Well, it takes a little more than just showing up... but it's an easy badge for an active camper to get. If a scout attends 50% of the monthly campouts we offer over three years he's done most of the badge anyway since the scouts do all their own cooking. They just need to work with the counselor to complete the academinc (e.g. req. 1,2,8) and planning portions of the MB requirement. We usually have cooking as a campout theme once a year anyway where we cover the first aid, menu planning, food pyramid etc. The rest of the stuff is just a matter of organization to make sure each guy gets a turn at bat to plan & cook for three on a campout and make sure mom let's him cook for a day at home. I wish they would drop the "cook at home" requirement and limit this to camp cooking but whatever. The scouts view this as an easy badge to pick up, which it is.

The first campout after crossover we let older scouts do #4 and cook for two new scouts. They get to know each other and the older scout shows them how to cook over a coleman camp stove at breakfast, an open fire or charcoal fire for lunch and a homemade ultralight stove made from an aluminum can at dinner.

It's really no big deal to get cooking over a period of time with a little bit of organization.

The guys love the campout where we make and use the ultalight aluminum bottle stoves. I use my ultralight all the time backpacking.

one ultralight stove (I currently use this one)

another ultalight stove

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY_LKCFlG6k&feature=related

(This message has been edited by knot head)

OAwww

What you saw was that the cooking merit badge was soon to be returned to the Eagle required list. No date was offered.

John in KC is correct this has not been officially announced yet by the BSA and is not currently an advancement requirement, which is why I made no such claim in my post.

This was some advanced news shared by Joe Glasscock from the BSA National Office to scouters at the Philmont Training Center. Along with being the professional advisor for training, Joe also advises several of Boy Scout program related committees.

Do I expect it to be in place by 09? Yes, that was the impression I got. The new Boy Scout Handbook is being completed (it is a new size by the way, so that it will fit in the large pocket of the new uniform pants.) and it should be in that new edition.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

I had enough of trying to plan a campout's meals during 1st class cooking. Doing 3-4 times that amount would make me insane. Also, I am working on my eagle project and if they make the requirement June 1, 2009 or before it'll probably set me back a couple months for earning Eagle