Counselor section of partial blue card

Who gets the counselor section of a partial blue card, the counselor or the scout?

I've heard arguements for both. The counselor should have it for a duplicate record with the completed requirements filled out in the "Remarks" section. I've also heard that the scout should get it so that when the blue card is completed, the counselor who signs the final card should get it.

Thanks to the group for your thoughts.

Kirk

If it's a partial and the Scout doesn't get all three parts, including the counselor section, then he wouldn't be able to complete it unless he went back to the same counselor. This would make it difficult for Scouts who come home from summer camp with partials. Anyhow, I was under the impression that the counselor only took the counselor section if the MB was completed.

Scouts should always retain all three sections of their merit badge until it is completed. Then, and only then, the Scout may give the corresponding thirds to the counselor and his unit and keep his third.

As stated by half of the people above, the Applicant retains all of the sections until they have completed all of the requirements.

Read the print on the Counselor's section:

It is suggested that the counselor keep this record for at least 1 year in case any question is raised later in regard to this award.

If the MB is never awarded there is no reason for the counselor to keep a record of the partial completion of requirements.

The counselor should keep the counselor's third of the card. This is an important backup record should other records be lost or challenged. I would keep the counselor's third for seven years and then discard.