concerned about how troop is doing MBs

I am growing increasingly concerned with how my sons' troop is handling both merit badges and rank advancement. This involves my younger son, who crossed over a year ago February, and did not happen with my older son, who is nearly 18.

Monday evening, at our spring COH, the Scoutmaster was holding a big handful of Personal Fitness merit badges. The boys had been working on the badge in troop meetings for a while (I know, don't even get me started about THAT!) and I knew that my younger son had told me that they had "finished all the questions." The SM came over to me and asked if my son had taken phys ed in school this year. I said, "yes, and he even earned the Presidential Physical Fitness Award." He said, "great, that's all I needed to know." The next thing I know, my son is getting his Personal Fitness badge, along with a half dozen other boys. He was thrilled, and a little surprised.

I was surprised and not in a good way. I look at my almost-Eagle son, and he looked appalled. I looked at the SM, and he said, "it's okay. If he took gym, he's done everything for the badge." Um . . . I don't think so, but I'm not going to burst my kid's bubble.

So, I went online and checked out the MB requirements. I know the boys did the initial fitness measurements, but I'm reasonably certain that they didn't develop a 12-week plan (I even asked my son--he didn't) and I know they didn't do the 2-week checks and measurements to see how far they came in 12 weeks. I also know that my son didn't research three careers in fitness and report on one of them. I asked him if he had done this and he looked confused. "No, that wasn't one of the questions." So, since we were all at the dinner table, we discussed various careers in fitness.

I also asked my son who the MB counselor was for this badge. He wasn't certain, and said it might have been one of two of our ASMs, and named them. My older son reported to me that one night at Scouts, he witnessed the group of boys working on this badge, going through the questions and flipping through the book and answering them as a group--with no adult in sight.

This isn't the only instance of shoddy work like this, but I dont want to write a novel here. What do I do? Who do I talk to about this? My son is having fun with this troop, but I'm upset by the shoddy, slapdash way that MBs are being done.

Elizabeth

Based on your input,

The best thing is to arm yourself with Requirements #33215, Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures #33088, the various information on MB Counselors at the National website (look at my recent posts, I just did them in another thread)...

Understand "what right looks like..."

Then ask the SM for a friendly, off-site, non-confrontational cup of coffee. Explain your concerns, and let him give feedback. He may well say "oops" and commit to change by following the program (and perhaps getting some additional training in selected areas).

If he does not understand/accept the need for change, then contemplate next steps, of having similar cups of coffee with the CC, COR, and UC.

Beyond that can wait 'til we see what happens with a friendly cup of coffee.

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be an uncommon problem.

Help him learn where to look up the MB requirements for himself in the future so he knows for sure whether he has done them. Make sure he has access to the MB books and he knows he's supposed to - gasp - read them all the way through (so many folks just skip this, I don't understand why). Gently help him understand that integrity and character include not seeking "awards" that were not earned, or if awards are bestowed but unearned, that he has at least a duty to follow up and finish the requirements independently. Allow *him* to have that quiet conversation with the SM or an ASM if you think he's mature enough to do it.

My son ended up doing this with a badge he was given (but knew he hadn't earned) at camp, and it was a powerful growth experience for him, far more than the actual MB. It also started a strong relationship with the ASM he approached to get help doing the badge right, and that gentleman has become quite a mentor to my son as a result.