The scout did get preapproval on his project. He finished it with 72 hours to go with a bit of a "drive by" attitude. The work day took about 20 hours of total effort for all the workers. The parish was happy and signed off. That is why I said there was no problem for the project. In this council "done" trumps "done poorly".

There are some issues with his record keeping and NO receipts for money spent. I was told new materials were purchased, but they appear used.

The main issue for me was can the appeal cover the MB's, the project, the attitude, and still give him a paper Eagle? If it happens, at least I was not a party to it. Who this hurts worst is the boys who actualy work on it.

If he is awarded Eagle the next fight will be with my Committee and parents. I can't see his name on the Troop plaque, and a big COA. I hope he just goes quietly into the night with a lesson learned.

(I don't have my ACP&P #33088 to hand, this is gist, someone will have to fill in page #s).

IF a Scout is denied an Eagle Scoutmaster Conference (or signoff to same) or is denied Eagle at an EBOR...

Then the Scout must be informed about the appeal procedures and his or his parents options to so use them.

Once an appeal is lodged, the Council Advancement Committee may handle it, or they may delegate to the District Advancement Committee.

The Advancement Committee with then undertake an impartial investigation of facts and circumstances. The output of the investigation include a recommendation to convene a Conference or Board of Review, or not to.

If the decision is to hold a Conference or EBOR, and the Scout is successful, the process stops, he's awarded Eagle.

If decision is not to, Scout retains right of appeal through the Council Advancement Committee, and ultimately to the National Advancement Committee. The National decision is final and binding.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I will say this one last time: CALL THE DISTRICT ADVANCEMENT CHAIRMAN. DO NOT LET THE SUN GO DOWN UPON THIS DAY BEFORE COMPLETING THAT TASK. He or she can be your ally ... until an appeal is filed. Then, he becomes an impartial arbiter.

Beyond that, has someone talked to the COR recently? The more the pot gets stirred, the more likely the Chartered Partner's name is going to end up in the paper. That's bad news, and bad news does not improve with age. Ditto a letter to the editor from Momma saying "Legion Post 123 refused to recognize Eagle Scout Billybob by putting his name on Troop 456's plaque. Troop 456 is chartered by Post 123. Get the COR in the loop.

Do the right things, as OGE has said. If you've done the right things, you can look yourself in the mirror no matter the outcome.

Hey Ed, it'll probably end up as cobbler... I'm gonna try it in the Dutch!(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

The COR and the District Advancement Chair are all in the loop. I even had a short discussion with were he did the project to indicate that the project wasn't the issue. I thanked them for their participation.

We beat this horse well -- I will check back in with the outcomes.

Hello Jaxvol,

Good thread, good discussion.

However, I respectfully suggest that the discussion is missing what I believe is the most important point.

We're in this game to improve the citizenship, character and fitness of youth. Not to award Eagle Scout badges. That's a means to an end.

I believe that the boy will not be awarded the Eagle Scout award. He did not complete the requirements. I believe that will be upheld on appeal.

More significantly, one of two things will happen:

1) He will believe that he got screwed, his parents will protest and believe that he got screwed, the Troop, District, etc. will believe that they are protecting the "purity" of Scouting. Everybody will become angry. He and his parents may end up hating Scouting, hating the Troop, hating the leaders, hating the chartering organization, blaming everbody in sight including Al Qaida except himself and feeling and taking no responsibility OR

2) He will understand and accept what has happened and understand that matters were in his control in the months and years before his 18th birthday. He may not be happy, but will understand that it is totally as a result of his actions and non-actions that he is not an Eagle Scout and never will be. He may resolve that he may have missed out on becoming an Eagle Scout but never again will me miss out on something that he wished because of his own delays and failure to act. He will feel good about Scouting that he was treated fairly and with respect. If he chooses to appeal, the Troop will help him with his appeal and will help him present the information in the best possible light but help him to understand that his appeal is asking the BSA to contravene explicitly stated procedures. His time in Scouting will be honored and he may be "graduated" with a nice ceremony. If appropriate, he may join the Troop as an ASM. He may become a Venturer and continue as a "youth" member of Scouting.

3) Something between 1 and 2.

The question, as I see it, is not whether he will become an Eagle Scout. It is how the Troop and District arrange outcome 2 which will be, in my opinion, to the greatest advantage to the Scout and to everybody else concerned.

"His time in Scouting will be honored and he may be "graduated" with a nice ceremony. "

Hey, that is a cool idea! Include the 18 year old Scout in a final court of honor as he ages out of the youth program.