What is the common practice for "signing off" on advancement requirements. Is it the scoutmaster, senior patrol leader, patrol leader, who can do this. What about parents and troop committee members.

In my troop the scoutmaster, asst. scoutmasters and committee members can sign off rank advancment. I do not let parents sign off unless they fall into one of these catagories. The reason for this is,when I have a scoutmaster conference I do not find scouts that have not learned a skill but have it signed off by a parent. I encourage parents to help the boys learn the necessary scouting skills but ask that they have nme review the boys and then I can sign it off.

In our Troop the Scoutmaster, assistants and committee members can "sign off" requirements for a scout. The PLC also can sign off requirements for the younger scouts from the Scout, Tenderfoot, Secondclass and Firstclass ranks. Unlike our Cubscout program parents can not sign off requirements unless they are a part of the leadership team. Parents are requested to not sign off on their scout's requirements. However parents are encouraged to work with their scout on his requirements.

I am the Troop Advancement Chair and here how it works in our troop.

First, Parent may sign-off on advancement except for their own boy because that would be a conflict of interest. I do work with and encourage parents to become involved and assist with rank advancement as well as becoming merit badge counselors. They can be great resources with lots of great skills to share.

This also helps with their understanding of the program. We have over 50 boys and even with the 8 or 9 leaders we just can't keep up on advancement without the parents help.

For PLC or other boys only on special situations which have been cleared by the Scoutmaster. As adults, we need to make sure the boy understand what he is signing off on and the importance of knowing that skill which he's signing off on. Your Eagle Scouts are great for assisting with this task.

I encourage you to do a troop survey and get more of your parents involved. Advancement is very important for retention of the boys in your troop.