Royal Rangers and Scouting

See I was right when I said that I might be wrong!!

Thanks for the help!

I'm OK with being a Queen's Scout.

Eagle Scouts don't get to go to Windsor Castle!!

Eamonn.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OGE,

One other thing to consider in how fast a boy could earn First Class, is the requirement for 10 Patrol/Troop activities & campouts. It might be difficult to participate in 10 activities very quickly. In our Troop, there is usually one Troop outing per month (sometimes two). So I'd be inclined to say that it is possible to earn First Class in 8 to 10 months. This would still allow Eagle in about 2 years. So unless the lad is over 16 years old, it would still be possible as you noted.

One side note; the Baptist church that I grew up in had a "Royal Ambasador" program. As a part of that program was "Campcraft". Campcraft basically covered the same types of reqirements as Tenderfoot through First Class. I knew a boy who joined a Boy Scout Troop at 14 years old after having been involved in Royal Ambasadors. He basically flew through all of the requirements and only had to wait on getting the ten activities/campouts. By the time he was 17 years old, he had earned his Eagle.

I think in cases like this, he must complete the BSA requirements.

ASM59

I agree with msnowman.

GW, the lad did NOT get the short end of the stick. RR is in this country, not another where a transfer in process is acceptable. Maybe that's because other country's scout associations are in the WOSM, maybe not.

What if a student earned an A on a paper. The next term the same student has a similar class, should he get credit for the same paper he already earned an A for? I think not.

If he wants to become an Eagle Scout, he should do it the old fashioned way - earn it.

"What if a student earned an A on a paper. The next term the same student has a similar class, should he get credit for the same paper he already earned an A for? I think not."

Actually, I often retyped papers and submitted them for new classes.

GW I am not saying that this doesn't happen but just FYI, this is considered plagiarism by pretty much any university/college, unless you specifically sought and received the approval of your instructor to do so in advance. So I'd hate to see this be the standard for Eagle, or any other BSA rank.

The ideal solution is to use one's previous work as a starting point, citing as appropriate, but taking the work beyond where you went last time, or in a new direction. It's actually fun to cite oneself as an authority. ;)

I like recycling, but there are limits.

Wanna become an Eagle Scout, earn it. Scoutingmama, if the scout in your troop is less than 16.5 years old, it's mathematically possible to earn Eagle in about 18 months.

Pencil whipping requirements isn't right.

G

Alternative Scouting associations get the same question from the opposite direction: "Can an Eagle Scout get credit toward the highest Baden-Powell youth Award?"

To have an official policy for converting members of competing youth organizations is unScoutlike for the same reason that we discourage BSA Troops from "raiding" Scouts from nearby BSA Troops.

One informal solution in the alternative situation is to appoint the Eagle as a Patrol Leader (similar to a "Troop Guide" in the BSA) and have him lead his Scouts from Tenderfoot through First Class. This gives him the opportunity to prove his stuff, serve the Court of Honor, and along the way to complete the many requirements missing from the US program.

So you might ask your SPL to appoint the Royal Ranger as a Troop Guide.

Baden-Powell required every King's Scout candidate to re-pass all of his Badges prior to being awarded the highest youth award (and to continue to re-pass them all on a regular basis thereafter or surrender his King's Scout Badge). So requiring an Eagle Scout to earn all his Merit Badges again is the same thing required from all B-P Scouts.

Therefore it is not demeaning to ask the same of your Royal Ranger.

Baden-Powell's program was all about the mastery of Scoutcraft so there are no artificial manager school "PORs" required of a BSA Scout who transfers to a Baden-Powell Troop.

Leadership is just something that we should expect from the very best hooligans!

Kudu

Thank you all so much for your posts. Our RR youth is completing all the requirements required of a just-joined Scout, just going a little faster because he understands more and is able to get requirements signed off quicker. I didn't ask my question because we wanted to short circuit the system; I just couldn't find anything definitive on the BSA site (we did ask the father to put us in touch with the person who said RR stuff could transfer; evidently the father misunderstood what the person had said). We have no intention of "pencil whipping" any requirement for any Scout; our Scoutmaster wouldn't allow it for one thing and we want to set a high bar for our Scouts to meet so when they do earn their Eagle rank they will be very proud of their accomplishment. The one thing we appreciate about the Boy Scouts of America is that they set high standards and challenge the youth to meet them.

Again, thank you for your comments.

"GW I am not saying that this doesn't happen but just FYI, this is considered plagiarism by pretty much any university/college . . "

plagiarize (plje-rz) verb

plagiarized, plagiarizing, plagiarizes verb, transitive

1. To use and pass off as one's own (the ideas or writings of another).

2. To appropriate for use as one's own passages or ideas from (another).

Nope, it was my work. Fails the basic test.

Still nope. I just visited my university's web site about plagiarism and they don't mention copying your own work. Maybe that's because it isn't plagiarism.

GW I won't go beyond this because it really is a tangent but most universities DO consider this plagiarism. Most go beyond the basic definition you provided to include a variety of other academically dishonest practices. I've sat on committees where students were punished for exactly this sort of thing at more than one school. It might not have been the case at your school, but it is in most places. You are expected to do original work for each course (unless you have permission to the contrary). Otherwise you aren't learning anything new, and you are passing off something written for another purpose, as meeting the expectations of the present class. It probably happens often and in larger schools it is probably unlikely that a student wold be caught, but again, I've never been at any college/university, nor do I know anybody who has ever taught at any college/university (and that's what I do for a living so this is a fairly big list of people), where this practice is considered acceptable.

GW,

Keeping with the tangent.

Different campuses have different words to describe the recycling of academic work (without permission from all professors involved). On my campus, it is classified as cheating and spelled out as such in the student handbook. At our local 4-year partner, the same act is called "a violation of academic integrity" Lisa's may refer to it as plagiarism.

Regardless of what it is called, academics are very unforgiving when it happens. As a result, at least on my campus, we go to great lengths to ensure that everyone knows what is expected so that if something like this were to happen, no one could plead ignorance. Students are dismissed for such infractions

Prof.

Lisa,

GW did in fact learn something........ how to skate!

More to the point, that is what the lad would be doing by trying to apply RR achievements in BSA. The only way I could see around it is if the scout were enrolled in both at the same time and had permission to apply servie hours for both or home repairs stuff etc..... still seems like double dipping, shouldn't really be allowed.