Merit Badge Reqs at Camporees

sylvar, in response to my question about who authorized the Scouts to work on MBs at the camporee answers:goodwin, to your point - No one. The camporee was greared towards a particular setof MBs and any boy who had participated in an earlier event knew that certain topics would be covered and used for MB completion.OK, I'm still confused (but then, why should today be any different??)

Most Scouts don't show up at a camporee by themselves, right? Didn't your troop attend this camporee as a troop, with one or more patrols?

If so, and if the SM knew the purpose of the camporee was to work on MBs, then where's his beef?

Sorry, I still don't get it . . .

I think you are at the same point I was when I was told that the new boys could not use the things they had done at the camporee because they weren't already working with a MBC.....I don't get it either.

Sylvar,

The targets scenario is a great example of a point I'm trying to make.

You said, in your first post: "We were handed a list of the reqs the boys had completed at the camporee". I have never heard of a District Camporee which manages what individual Scouts really did and consolidates it into a database report for the SM. If you're telling me they did that, kudos to your District; they have more volunteer support than mine does. That's the level of effort I see at Scout Camps in the various lodges!

What I've usually seen out of an event such as this is a xeroxed paper:

Scouts at this camporee qualified for:

Rifle MB, Requirement 2A ... a, b, c, d , k and l.

As a Counselor, I do not have to accept a form letter from the District. I can ask the Scout to show me his targets for 2A k and l, or I can say "Why don't you and a buddy and a Dad/Mom meet me at the range on Saturday and we'll do some shooting?"

As a MBC, I would hope a Scoutmaster short-stops this kind of laundry list from reaching me.

So... is the list I'm talking about the list you were talking about?

:) Have a wonderful Scouting Day :) This really is a great program.

John,

I know the MBC doesn't HAVE to accept any prior work if they choose not too...But let spin your scenario a little. Say you were on staff at this event and you knew what happened there. And say the req is a "Participate in...." type req which was fulfilled.....Would you accept that?

I understand the scenario you are trying to short circuit and agree...Any Req that is a "Describe how to/Why" or "Show how to" are easily repeated and are no burden on the Scout if he truly learned the material. MBC has every right...and should question the boys on those types of reqs.

Yours in Scouting

Sylvar,

Several bottom lines, and speaking for myself...

- I'll take work done at a Camporee, but the Scout won't get very far if he gives me a District (or even Troop) level printed laundry list. That's a big red flag saying "Merit Badge Mill."

- If the Scout has a "Do and discuss" requirement (visit a state capitol in Cit/Nation)... I'll ask two questions: When did you go? (I will not buy a visit from his cub scouting days, or if it was before he joined boy scouting), and what mattered to you during the trip? One kid answered about several architectural details... he'd never seen an Art Deco building before! I accepted it.

I also served as advancement coordinator. I didn't worry a whole lot about policy; that was a program decision and within the purview of the SM. I made sure the data was accurately captured and accurately reported to Council (that's a different story/battle, getting ScoutNet and unit advancement records to conform at the award level).

Have fun doing what you're going to do. It's not the most fun, but seeing the youth get awards at COHs is rewarding! :)

Sylvar writes:I think you are at the same point I was when I was told that the new boys could not use the things they had done at the camporee because they weren't already working with a MBC.....I don't get it either.Then I guess at this point, if I were you, I'd ask the SM for a minute of his time (don't try to corner him during a troop meeting, for example -- because everybody wants his time then).

When you have his undivided attention, I'd ask him: what was the point in sending the Scouts to a camporee, the purpose of said camporee being to work on MB requirements, if you are going to turn right around and deny any and all partials?

It seems kinda senseless to me -- what exactly is accomplished by that other than the boys thinking (rightfully so, IMNSHO) that the adults in the troop have no clue?