Eagle Board of Review Question

Well, it's primary day here! Time to exercise my right to vote! I'm a registered democrat & I'm not voting for Mrs. Clinton. And if you ask, I'll tell you the same thing!

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What do you mean, nobody answered him?  Lots of people answered him.  Yours is the 58th post in this thread.  You have also managed to resurrect a thread that had been "resting" for eight years.  Or m

I think it's inappropriate. I'm glad the now Eagle answered it well. 

"Do you plan on voting in the upcoming election?"--completely appropriate.   "For whom are you voting in the upcoming election"--without question, inappropriate.   If I were a board member, I woul

Bringing this thing back to life...I can't find another old thread that fits better.

Another incident recently: The EBOR was lackluster, the boy was adequate to pass and he did. However, in the process the chair of the EBOR learned that the boy was a Unitarian Universalist and then proceeded to bore in with an aggressive interrogation about 'belief in God'.

Your reactions?

About the original question - If I were to ask this question at a job interview, and I did not hire the applicant for whatever reason, I would expect to be sued! At the very least, this question represents an utter lack of care and foresight.(This message has been edited by sherminator505)

About the more recent post - Did the District/Council put on this EBOR? If so, is there something going on in the background that we're not aware of? If not, then you have received a sign that the District/Council should be putting on the EBOR's in your neck of the woods.

"Your reactions? "

Well certainly questions about how a scout is Reverent are appropriate. But any answer short of a direct statement from the scout that he is not Reverent, doesn't believe in a higher power of any kind, (not necessarily the Judeo/Christian God) and doesn't fulfill this aspect of the scout law should suffice.

Seems to me if a member of the Board really started to grill a scout on this aspect, his scoutmaster or adult mentor who is allowed to sit in on the Review, might step in and say something simple like, "Asked and answered."

SA

About the original question - If I were to ask this question at a job interview, and I did not hire the applicant for whatever reason, I would expect to be sued! At the very least, this question represents an utter lack of care and foresight.

Well an EBOR isn't a job interview and I think this question is very appropriate. This gives the Scout an opportunity to express his opinions about the candidates & it give the EBOR some insight into the Scout!

Ed:

I disagree. There is too much chance that one or more board members might judge the scout based on his political views.

Many years ago my dad answered one of those election eve phone calls.

"How are you voting in tomorrow's election?"

"By secret ballot as prescribed by the constitution".

There is a reason we step into a voting booth; it is so no one will judge us by our political choices.

The question was out of line as was the question from the more recent post. There are lots of other more appropriate questions that could be asked to give "insight into the scout".

Hal

Sorry, for some reason I didn't get the notification of replies to this thread. A little more detail:

I don't know if something is going on behind the scenes or not but I doubt it. My feeling so far is that it was the reviewer's decision to pursue that line of questioning. I'm going to follow up with him when I get a chance.

The boy stated that he believed in a higher power but just wasn't sure about what that was. This uncertainty was what precipitated the questions.

All in all there's no long-term harm done. He passed. I think the UUs are aware of the bullseye on their backs. At least they are now..you better believe that the word is OUT in the community. But the boy passed. I'm more interested in how widespread this mode of review is - and how many think it's OK? Or if not, where others draw the line?

"Well, Hal, if a BOR member makes his/her decision based on who the Scout says he is voting for then that person has missed the whole point of the question."

I would submit that if the EBOR member makes his/her decision based on who the Scout says he is voting for then that person has missed the whole point of an EBOR.

I also fail to see the logic that an EBOR member could somehow miss the point of a question that he himself asked.

• 7 years later...

I participated in my first Eagle Board of Review and it went about like I expected with one exception. The last question posed to our first Eagle candidate, because he was close to turning 18 y/o, was who would he vote for in the November general election and why? I was a little shocked that someone would ask a political question. The young man answered the question easily and supported his choice, but I was still a bit taken aback. Is this typical?

I can't say NO enough. No. No. No. We've been known to ask 'What is your favorite candy bar?' just to lighten the mood... but ... No. NO. Politics is just wrong... on so many levels. I can't believe nobody answered you. Not a very active forum I guess!

I can't say NO enough. No. No. No. We've been known to ask 'What is your favorite candy bar?' just to lighten the mood... but ... No. NO. Politics is just wrong... on so many levels. I can't believe nobody answered you. Not a very active forum I guess!

What do you mean, nobody answered him?  Lots of people answered him.  Yours is the 58th post in this thread.  You have also managed to resurrect a thread that had been "resting" for eight years.  Or maybe it was pining for the fjords...

• Upvote 1