I had an adult that was in the troop that I am Scoutmaster for ask me a question about advancement records. The records that he is interested in are from the 70's. Our troop records from that time were destroyed in a fire at a previous Scoutmasters house. How can I get an advancement record from this time frame from national. I am specifically looking for a date that someone was advanced to Eagle Scout.

I was resently looking into my troops 80 some year history. we dident have much in the way of records, but the local council had 2 files filled with troop records. the record the council keeps at recharder time show the names and ranks. this could help you find a year but not the exact date.

the problem we had getting infromation out of our council, and even national is that the computer records only go back till around 1998. aparently getting national to look through the paper trail is a real problem. but its definaltly worth a shot.

Who do you contact at National for a records check? This is further complicated by the fact that the Council that this individual was in has had its boundaries changed and our Troop is now in a different Council.

This is specifically related to an individual that tells me that he completed all of the requirements for Eagle back in the 70's but did not have the dates for three merit badges, he had lost the blue cards. When he asked the Scoutmaster for the dates he said all of his records were lost in a fire and he did not have the dates. The individual tells me that he wrote a letter to national telling them what happened and then never heard anything from them. Out of the blue he gets a call from NESA the other day asking for information for the Eagle directory they are putting together. He tells them that he did not make Eagle and they tell him he did and give him a date that seems like the correct date to him.

I am just trying to help him solve a mystery, is he an Eagle or not. This is further complicated by the fact that the Scoutmaster has passed away.

our local council contacted the department at national that aproves the eagle candidetes. I dont remember the name of the gentlemen I talked to at national, but contacting the local council first is always the P.C. way to do it.

but if its meritbadges your wondering about, I dont beleve they make it to the national level.

Find a member of NESA and get a copy of the NESA newsletter, "Eagletter". In it there is a form for ordering replacement Eagle Scout credentials...certificate, wallet cards, etc. Have him fill in the form with the date he was given and mail it in. If he gets a positive reponse, mystery solved. I am amazed that your local Council is not able to help. Ours has a record book with every Eagle Scout ever earned in the council going back to 1910.

"is he an Eagle or not?"

If he completed the requirements at the time, including his project, (I don't mean he has to prove this, if he believes he completed them that's fine by me.)and he does as scoutldr suggests and recieves a positive response, then yes I would consider him an Eagle Scout. He should begin planning his ECOH :)

On the other hand, if he knows he did not fulfill all the requirements, over and above the MB requirements, then he should do as scoutldr suggests and if he gets a positive response he should respectfully write a letter to have his name removed from the rolls as an Eagle Scout and explain why.

SA