question about camping merit badge

So, Acco40, in your interpretation multiple weeks at summer camp if they are in their own tent that they pitched should be able to count?

Personally I'd like to see it count as our summer camp (Lost Lake) has the boys sleep in tents that we have to supply and of course they pitch.

I can undertand why they don't count it and family camping trips, although I'd like to. Our family camping is pretty rustic and is truly camping, but others take the rolling Holiday Inn approach.

Oh well

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeez,

The concept is really quite simple:

- Encourage SHORT TERM camping ... that means overnights and weekends.

- Encourage LONG TERM camping ... Scout camp, backpacking trips, high adventure, jamboree.

Scouts should do both!

"I don't feel the current requirement is trying to exclude more than one week of long term camp if the scout pitches his own tent."

You may have "a" cookie. Is it then OK to take a handful of cookies?

You can go to the store and rent "a" movie. Is it then OK to rent 5 movies?

While I agree, it's whatever the MBC signs off on, "a" is singular in usage. In both cases, a week of camp can be included.

Oh, and I agree, with an active troop, comprised of active patrols, it shouldn't be an issue.

(This message has been edited by Eagle1982)

"A" week is 7 days. Technically, summer camp is 7 days. Arrive on Sunday & leave on Saturday. That's "a" week. Now let's not forget, a Scout may use a week of long-term camp but doesn't have to. It is possible a Scout may be part of a unit that doesn't go to summer camp or do any long-term camping.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

Ed,

Not necessarily so.

H Roe Bartle Scout Reservation, Heart of America Council, still runs a 10 day camp cycle...

Check in Day 1

Program Days 2-4

Program Days 5-7

Visitor Sunday (wherever it ends up falling) 8

Makeup Day 9

Go home Day 10

This year, we will fill 3 500 Scout camps for 6 sessions each.

20 nights is a very low hurdle over the course of a few years. We have kids who get 20+ nights each year including summer camp. All of our regular monthly campouts are two night deals. 9 campouts x 2 nights plus a week of summer camp and in the next 12 months a guy could get 24 nights (18+6) . We don't camp in July (vacations & heat), December is reserved for Winter camp and June is Summer camp.

• 10 months later...

I talked to National, and they said: "summer camp 1 year =6 days, summer camp next year = 6 days".

The 'a' in 'a week of camping' is used to carry the sentence NOT a limit on time.

Otherwise it would have said 'ONLY'.

Welcome to the forums, ranman 256. Yes, that is the way we count summer camp. Keep in mind that not all summer camps are the same. A tent for a week is quite different from a cabin (not camping at all for most of us).

But I agree. This unit has at least 20 nights of real camping each year, sometimes a lot more (I'm not sure how you count nights in a cave). Where we are, 'winter' camping is hard to come by unless you count cold rain as winter. ;)

For us, June is still cool. Summer hits in late July and August.