question about camping merit badge

Camp a total of at least 20 days and 20 nights. Sleep each night under the sky or in a tent you have pitched. The 20 days and 20 nights must be at a designated Scouting activity or event. You may use a week of long-term camp toward this requirement. If the camp provides a tent that has already been pitched, you need not pitch your own tent. "

The above states you can use a week of long term camping towards the requirement. If a scout goes to camp 3 different years can he count a week each year, or do you only count it once? THanks for any help you can give.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not understand why the nights could be an issue. An active on every outing and to summer camp each year scout will get 20 nights per year even allowing for the occasional cabin sleeping or missed trip. The ones who don't want to camp are in the wrong organization! That's where most if not all of the fun occurs. Even the best scout meetings are rather dull and boring mostly planning for the fun to be had on the outings.

Yah, I've got to second scotteng here, eh?

Beavah's rule number 29: If a unit is spendin' any time worrying about counting camping nights for 2nd class/1st class or Camping MB, then they've got a serious problem with their use of da Outdoor Method (or their understandin' of advancement). Rather than spend their time on accounting tricks for days and nights, they should be spendin' their time havin' fun outdoors with kids.

You know...ScOUTING!

B

Yeah, I agree with Beavah and the others. A good program will provide plenty of days and nights. This unit does around 30 or so nights per year, not counting the 'special' outings where only a few go. However, if a patrol decides to go on a camping trip, does that count? I'm not sure it is a 'designated' scouting activity, or am I looking at this the wrong way?

I can't imagine an argument that would justify any patrol outing, including camping, that wouldn't be considered a scout activity. I think I could even accept the argument that an adult-led troop activity is less scouting than a boy-led patrol activity.

Stosh

In the five years I've been in our unit, I've lost count on the number of nights camping, but well over 100.

The only time nights camping is an issue with our scouts is the "parlor" scouts. Those who only attend summer camp, always find an excuse not to go on a weekend campout, and only attend meetings when there is nothing else to do that night. Luckly, most of boys don't fit that description.