The Scout in question, or you if you are a leader, should have a Scout Handbook that gives the requirements. Here is a web address to give you a quick overview if no Handbook is nearby.

http://www.scouting.org/BoyScouts/AdvancementandAwards/eagle.aspx

Concerning the project: The Scout needs to follow to the letter the instructions in the official Eagle Scout Leadership Project Workbook. We have a couple of leaders in our Troop who mentor the Life-to-Eagle candidates. They look over the project workbook and give suggestions for improving the write-up. But suggestions are as far as it goes. It is up to the Scout to get the job done, and for him that is the real challenge of the project. The paperwork and presentation of the project to the Troop committee and the Distrct or Council Advancement committee is the BIG job for the Scout. The actual physical work, if planning is done well, falls into place.

No specific nights of camping are required to earn Eagle except in that the Camping merit badge is required. That MB has a requirement of 20 nights of camping:

"9. Show experience in camping by doing the following:

a. Camp a total of at least 20 days and 20 nights. Sleep each night under the sky or in a tent you have pitched. The 20 days and 20 nights must be at a designated Scouting activity or event. You may use a week of long-term camp toward this requirement. If the camp provides a tent that has already been pitched, you need not pitch your own tent. "

http://meritbadge.org/index.php?title=Camping

Leaders can advise and assist but this leader expects the scout to take ownership of the responsibilities and leadership for the project. I help the scouts understand who the various people are who need to sign the workbook. I make myself available for questions if they are unclear about something or if they don't know how to do something. And if my signature is needed, I sign. But the boy must write the project description and the design, the plan, etc. I offer pointers on how to make it look nicer in some cases, or how to fit it in to the space alloted, things like that. But the 'intellectual capital' to use a term I apply in my work, should belong to the boy.

I take a more active role while filling out the application for rank, making sure his information matches that of the council, and making sure he has not forgotten anything. But once he has attained Life, I am there to assist at his request and to make sure he has the opportunity to succeed - or fail - on his own.

I concur with packsaddle. ALL aspects of the Eagle rank should be done by the candidate, including filling out the paperwork. "Paperwork" is a distasteful but necessary fact of life in America, and Scouting helps the fellow prepare for life. I have seen a wide variety of Eagle applications and project workbooks. Some have been prepared very nearly professionally while others are more ragged. All according to the abilities of the candidate. The important thing is that he should do his best on all aspects of the project, including the documentation.