First question:

Is it the usual practice for the SPL to attend the Troop Committee meetings?

I thought the troop committee was only attended by committee members and Scoutmaster,Assistant SM. Patrol Leader Council was for SPL to attend with other scouts and Scoutmaster.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the Forums.

If you look at some of the various training media, including the old Boy Scout Fast Start video (old in that how many people still have VHS?), I've seen the SPL at Committee meetings.

When I was CC, I asked the SM to have the SPL come. It was a way of empowering him, and a way of making sure communications were clear between program and support sides.

In our troop, the SPL does not normally attend the committee meetings. On occasion, the SM will invite the SPL to a committe meeting to brief the committee on some special event. The SPL is always free to attend any committee meeting (as are any parents or youth).

As a Scoutmaster I would bring the SPL to a committee meeting early in their term to see what the committe does in support the decisions made at the PLC meeting. After that they came only if requested or needed.

You are correct that the Scoutmaster's role at the committee meeting is as the program representative, but not as a committee member. The ASMs take their assignments from the scoutmaster so there is no requirement that they be present. However this is up to the Scoutmaster and committee chair to work out for what works best for them.

The committee mmeeting is not required to be open to the public or even to parents or scouts. It is a private meeting of a private organization.

While you are able to allow others to come at will you are not required to be by law or by the BSA.

I'm sure it will give some people fits, but Nephew's Troop holds their PLC and Committee meetings at the same date/time/place. The boys do their thing and the committee does theirs. When the SPL is ready to present their decisions to the SM he meets with them.

YiS

Michelle

That is in context to activities in which the scouts are participating. Nothing requires that the committee meeting be open, or a meeting of the COR, and SM. Nor does a meeting of the SM and ASMs have to be open.

You are prohibited from having secret or hidden activities involving youth as part of youth protection.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Fundraising to me is support in nature, although program (salesmanship MB) can be leveraged off it. It's the Committee's call on the percentage of profit which will be allocated to Troop General funds, and the percentage which may be allocated to youth program members for activities such as camp, unit dues, or recharter & Boy's Life.

Remember also, that on fundraising, there are an array of procedures to go through, including the planning on the Unit Fundraising Application.

This is a time where I would ensure youth weren't around.

My experiences, others may vary.

I once made the suggestion that the SPL come to the committee meetings to report and offer feedback. You woulda thunk that I suggested that we sacrifice a virgin instead of saying the national loyalty oath. The SM said that HE was there to represent the Scouts.

I still think that it can be a good idea, especially when setting up the calendar or talking about fund raising.

I know that in my son's troop the boys never had any idea of what anything cost and most never made the connection between the new tents and popcorn selling. No one ever said, "Guys we need new tents so you have to get out and sell!" (not that they would :-( )

However, if the SPL was included in these discussions, he might offer advice on what sort of fund raising the boys would like to do and also be able to communicate WHY they were raising funds.

Yes, I can see how someone could interpret it that way. But that is not what it actually says. It says "All aspects." If we can interpret the "real meaning" of one part of the G2SS, what's to prevent us from interpreting other parts?

You really do need to look at it in context. The passage you refer to comes under the Youth Protection section refering to barriers to child abuse. You don't need to worry about child abuse at a meeting with no children present.

The passage refers to how the BSA has set up barriers at activities involving scouts. An adult meeting where there are no scouts does not present a potential abuse situations.

The entire passage says.

"No secret organizations.

The Boy Scouts of America does not recognize any secret organizations as part of its program. All aspects of the Scouting program are open to observation by parents and leaders."

A unit committee is not a secret organization. It's work is known to the parents and the Charter organization has a memeber on the committe. there is nothing secret about its existence.

It has leaders present, it probably has parents on the committee.

It is not a youth activity.

Meeting privately and being a secret organization are not the same thing.

This passage is in response to questions about the OA and explains that it is not a secret organization and that it must be open to observation by parents, and to keep other scouts and scouters from starting a secret group within their troop. It does not refer to situations where child abuse is not a potential issue.

If the Scoutmaster wants to have a meeting with the ASMs do you actually believe that they must inform and invite any parent or scout to attend???

That just isn't the case.

Yes, I can see how you you might interpret it that way, but that is not what it says. It does not say, "All aspects of the Scouting program are open to observation by parents and leaders, except those where no youth are present."

I can't understand why you would even want to tell a parent, "No, you can't come to this committee meeting. It is private." I can't even concieve of turning away a parent - or even a curious passerby - from a committee meeting. Everyone is welcome at all of our meetings. Even those pesky pagans.