So, within the upcoming weeks we have some Webelos crossing over into Boy Scouts and the Scout master asked us about an AOL board of review. This kind of threw us for a loop because we have not crossed anybody over since before Katrina hit. Is this a normal thing or something that that Troop might do?

It's not part of the process.

However, if you just want to sit down with the Scouts and have a chat about what they thought about Cub Scouts and what they enjoyed and didn't enjoy, I don't have a problem with that. Heck, it might even be a good idea.

That says review board and not "board of review". That could be the content for a placard with the AOL requirements on it, and have nothing to do with putting the scout in front of members of the unit committee to discuss what he has learned so far, how he met the requirements and other elements of a "board of review".

When you follow the link http://www.geocities.com/pack697den3/Scorpions.html

You find that it is in fact a practice list for the scout. Notice the blue box at the left. The top line says "Arrow of Light practice" and when you click through it takes you to the link previously sited. This is a review list for the elements in requirement 2 of the AOL not a "board of review".

They are required to "Have a conference with the Scoutmaster." A board of review at this point would not be a profitable exercise the young man has had no experience in your troop just in the pack he is coming from. When we get a visiting WEBELOS the prospective scout is turned over to the ASPL for introductions on where to go etc. the parent is turned over to a committee member who gives them what they need to know from the adult angle and has the added benefit of separating boy and parent. The boy is being placed in what may be an uncomfortable situation being forced to relate to a group of total strangers. That very thing is what he is there to do and removing the easy way out of hiding with mom or dad is helpful.

Bayou Beaver, you won't find much through a web search because there isn't a Board of Review for AOL. I have never heard of anybody doing this, either. Now there's nothing wrong with the den leader sitting down and talking with boys about what they like/don't like about cub scouting, but let's not take boy scout terminology (Board of Review) and apply it (incorrectly) to a cub scout program. In short, the SM who asked you this is a little bit off "true north." The only remaining question is how you'll let him know. Personally I go for the straightforward approach "No, we aren't going to have a BOR for our Arrow of Light candidates because that's not part of the Cub Scouting process." The SM may not know the Cub program, or he may have forgotten, or he may be in la-la land. A friendly reminder/education from you should be all he needs.

I'd ask the SM what he meant by "AOL board of review" with the intent to see if it's what he calls going over the Boy Scout joining requirements with the boys.

In our troop, when boys crossover from the pack, they get a Boy Scout handbook as part of their ceremony. We congratulate them and tell their parents that they want to complete the joining requirements before their first troop meeting. At the first troop meeting, our SM meets with boys and verifies they completed them so they can get their Scout rank badge right away. Usually, the only reason they won't get their Scout rank badge at their first troop meeting is because their parents didn't go over the Child Abuse guide with them.

We want our new scouts to get that Scout rank badge no later than the second troop meeting they attend.

Board's of Review are held for Boy Scout Rank advancements. Arrow of Light is a Cub Scout Award. It isn't awarded by a Troop, so a Troop wouldn't be giving a Board of Review for it. Once an award is earned, it's earned. A future unit, in this case a Boy Scout Troop, has no ability to re-affirm an award by holding a Board of Review.

The same would hold true for a Scout who transfers from one Troop to another as a First Class Scout. The new Troop doesn't get to hold a Board of Review to decide if the lad gets to keep his First Class.

Calico

SM conference for an AOL candidate? I just saw 19 boys cross-over having earned their AOL and 17 joined my troop. None of them did a SM conference prior to this. They all visited my troop, but no conferences were requested. It's just what the Pack leaders decide is necessary to walk away with the AOL.

Stosh

Yes they are required to "Have a conference with the Scoutmaster." I think its just to make sure that they don't sneak into a meeting and then sneak out without talking to someone. Those of us in Boy Scouts need to keep in mind how overwhelming and confusing a typical troop meeting is to a WEBELOS who is used to adults keeping everything under tight control. The below link agrees with my couple of year old WEBELOS book.

http://www.boyscouttrail.com/webelos/arrowoflight_requirements.asp