Eagle Board of Review and God

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ed

I think perhaps we agree and you are simply arguing out of habit.

How a scout performs his duty to God and how he shows his reverence are certainly available topics of discussion and should be a part of EVERY rank's bor not just Eagle. Do not confuse that with a discussion on a specific religion.

Religion is not a requirement of the BSA. The question that promted my response was comparing specific religions as they related to a bor and there is NO REQUIREMENT that a scout belong to ANY religion. So what religion a scout is (or isn't) a member of, is not relevent to the bor. How the scout percieves and acts upon his obligations to God is the topic, not what label his religion has.

A scout can have a reverence to God without being a member of any specific religion. A scout can put that reverence into action without belonging to any specific religion.

Whether a Scout is Catholic, Jewish, Presbyterian, or Scientoligist, or none of the above is irrelevant to the advancement requirements of the BSA.

The question the bor should ask is "how do you feel you show reverence to God?", and not, "what religion do you belong to?".

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Just trying to understand, Bob, not arguing.

Actually Bob we do agree but your statement

and the fact is that religion is not an element of a board of review

is what threw me for a loop. A BOR can ask a Scout what religion he is. There is nothing prohibiting that.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

When the best post of late is Bob White and Ed agreeing, and then we go back to "where did I say?" I have this melody running through my head.

You can talk, you can talk

You can bicker, you can talk

You can bicker, bicker, bicker

You can talk, you can talk

You can talk, talk, talk, talk,

Bicker, bicker, bicker

You can talk all you want

But it's different then it was

No it ain't, no it ain't

But you gotta know the territory

Enough Already(This message has been edited by OldGreyeagle)

This chapter of the "Ed & Bob Show" is over. Despite all our attempts to kill the series, it just seems to keep going and going and going...

So stay tuned for the next thrill-packed episode of Ed & Bob's bickering adventures coming soon to a topic near you.

(signed)

FScouter, your faithful censor (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

OldGrayEagle:

Shh shh shh shh shh shh shh

Why it's the Model T Ford

Made the trouble

Made the people wanna go

Wanna get, wanna get

Wanna get up and go

Seven, eight, nine, ten, twelve,

Fourteen, twenty-two,

Twenty-three miles

To the county seat

Yes sir, yes sir

Who's gonna patronize

A little bitty two by four

Kinda store anymore?

Whaddaya talk, whaddaya talk,

Where do you get it?

Gone, gone, gone

With the hogshead cask

And demijohn

Gone with the sugar barrel

Pickle barrel, milk pan

Gone with the tub

And the pail and the tears

Ever meet a fellow

By the name of Hill?

Sorry,

Just couldn't resist :)

(edited for content)(This message has been edited by PeteM)

Its down right refreshing to see a fellow musical lover in the bunch, this time of year I look forard to Ev'ry night my honey lamb and I Sit alone and talk and watch a hawk Makin' lazy circles in the sky.

(This message has been edited by oldgreyeagle)

I am new to this web page and forum. I am an Eagle Scout and received the rank way back on April 29, 1959 and the Bronze Palm a year later.

I see this in a different light. First of all, separtion of church and state has to do with a government entity only. The last time I checked the BSA is a private organization not subject to that clause.

The next point is the Scout Oath which in part says, "On my honor I will do my best: To do my duty to God and my country: and to obey the Scout Law...".

When a young person joins the BSA they also agree to the Scout Oath. Being that is the case, the Eagle Board of Review does have every right to ask the Eagle candidate about their faith.

That is my opinion.

I guess with threads like this one, people reading them can come to the observation that we piddle, twiddle, and resolve

Not one dam thing do we solve

Piddle, twiddle, and resolve

Nothing's ever solved in

Foul, fetid, fuming, foggy, filthy. . .