Skill Awards question

Skill awards to me were the way that you could have two different levels and means of teaching for the two different school levels in a troop, belt loops for middle schoolers, and more rigorous MBs for high schools. I miss them greatly. My question is this, since they were dropped in 89 just as most people were just getting dial-up internet, has anyone ever seen requirment worksheets for skill awards that can be downloaded. I work with a number of Scoutreach troops, and I am hoping to use them as a rough guide for their programs. I realize they can not be offical awarded or required, but I think they might be uniquely helpful for these afterschool programs that have few outings.

Requirements are in the 8th edition of the Scout Handbook; I have both covers. I also have the First Aid skill award workbook, this is just a few pages with troop meeting outlines built around the skill award.

Ed P.

I earned all of them just before they were discontinued in 1989, and I personally feel that we lost something important when they were discontinued. I remember the 'new' boys asking me how they could earn them after they had been discontinued.

Having been a Scout from the 1960s (7th edition of the Handbook) from 1968, I have great regard for Bill Hillcourt's program. Yeah, we can and should move signal flags to something a tad more modern, but it's a good program. I think the 12th Edition should bring back COOKING MB as an Eagle requirement, and I think we need to re-visit the educational and training analysis of tasks from Tenderfoot to Eagle. I'm beginning to think JLT should be a requirement NLT than Star, and I'm also beginning to think NYLT (the week-long edition) should be part of the Eagle list.

So, what do I have to say to Boy Scout Skill Awards and Belt Loops? The same thing I say about red berets:

DING DONG THE BELT LOOPS ARE DEAD!!! THE BELT LOOPS ARE DEAD!!! THE BELT LOOPS ARE DEAD!!!

John in KC,

If they add Cooking to the Eagle Required list, I hope the use it to replace Communications. I am a MB Counselor for Communications. They took a mederately valuable MB and did away with most of the worthwhile requirements.

I have been considering notifying our Disctrict Advancement Chair that I no longer wish to counsel Communications. I don't mind wasting my time so much. I figure it's an opportunity to get to know a Scout better. But I hate that I am wasting the Scout's time.

Mark

Mark,

I wish I was far enough up the Scouting food chain to make the change happen. I'm not. I'm a unit serving and District volunteer (RT staff).

My thoughts come from my own walk on the trail, and from watching EagleSon as he continues his walk on the trail. Lord willing, this'll be his 3d summer on camp staff. His director and I had a conversation about him today; I think this summer's theme will be "spend your emotional energy wisely."