How to complete a merit badge (video)

Hi,

Because a lot of kids don't ever get merit badges outside of camp or merit badge colleges, we made this video and showed it at our court of honor.

At the end, we were presented the fake merit badge at the real court of honro, that's why the video end how it does.

Please give my video some hits and maybe some comments.

Thank you,

D.J.

Life Scout

Thanks for making this film to address this problem. Not many scouts in my unit do merit badge work outside of summer camp.

Great opening with video game as it quickly draws attention. Good composition and production. Good humor, like the eye chart and stuffed animals in the vet's office and the music was well selected.

I had some questions:

1. Why did you select a fictional merit badge? Why not work on a real merit badge like Cinematography and earn it at the COH?

2. What did you cut from your film? Did you have a time/size limit restriction on your film?

2a. Will you append the COH ceremony in a special Director's cut edition?

3. What video editor did you use? How much work when into making your 6 min film?

4. No preview of coming attractions? What can we expect next from Atomic Entertainment Industries? Maybe "Starting an Eagle Scout project?"

5. Looks like I have to create a Youtube account next.

Well done.

I had some questions:

1. Why did you select a fictional merit badge? Why not work on a real merit badge like Cinematography and earn it at the COH?

We only had about a week to film and edit the video, so we didn't have time to earn an actual merit badge. Since we were getting the badge presented at the COH, we didn't want people to think we really earned the badge. We also wanted to use our pet rats. Besides, having a fake badge gave my brother a chance to make a fake merit badge and a fake merit badge book.

which you can see here

2. What did you cut from your film? Did you have a time/size limit restriction on your film?

We didn't cut very much, but I wanted to make it under 10 minutes so I could put it on youtube

2a. Will you append the COH ceremony in a special Director's cut edition?

That would be a good idea, but we didn't film the COH. Maybe we'll recreate it sometime.

3. What video editor did you use? How much work when into making your 6 min film?

I used Windows Movie Maker, which comes free with windows computers xp and up. It is a pretty decent program, but can take longer to edit than other non-free programs.

We did the entire process in about a week. One hour after a meeting to film the scoutmaster scenes, 1 hour after school to film the "vet" scenes at the high school nurse's office, and one day to film all of the other scenes. I filmed the scenes of me on the phone at the same time I was editing. It took two afternoons to edit it all together.

4. No preview of coming attractions? What can we expect next from Atomic Entertainment Industries? Maybe "Starting an Eagle Scout project?"

"Starting an Eagle Scout project?"....perhaps....

I have done a couple of other scouting videos, which are slide shows set to music, but they had to be put on google because they were longer than youtube would allow.

Troop slide show 2007

Troop slide show 2005

Thank you for looking at my video and for your comments.

D.J.

Atomic,

This is great!

Often, I have found younger scouts to be a bit shy about working on badges when not in a class, especially calling counselors and such. So I like the line about visiting counselors isn't scary.

This is a really good demo! It may help young scouts by shoing them the process.

Great job,

Prof.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...