viewThread.asp ODBC Errors whenever trying to view any topics

I have discovered that there is a bug in the site, that makes it impossible to view any threads on this site from behind any type of web proxy server.

Behind the proxy server I get this error:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e57'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]

String or binary data would be truncated.

/forums/viewThread.asp, line 80

Without the proxy server, then it works fine and threads can be viewed on the forums.

1) My guess is something your doing with user tracking, or ads or something is not working behind any reasonably proxy server with spam filtering, ad blocking etc..

2) Even when that action fails this should STILL be handled in the website code. This ODBC error means that your trying to insert too many characters into a column in your SQL call. For example, sending a 35-character value to a database column that will only accept 25 characters). You would think that would be simple to fix, using a quick check to make sure your not doing this...see around line 80 in viewThread.asp

We use a proxy server, because we like to filter our internet for our large family of kids. Its insane not to do so these days with young kids. It also allows us to give different levels of access to older kids vs younger.

I don't know if anyone will ever see this message or fix this issue, but if others are having the same problem I guess I can tell them WHY its happening.

• 1 month later...