Looking for Signaling Merit Badge Requirements

Welcome Max. I have the 86 printing of the 74 Signaling MB pamphlet, so here goes: 1. Know the proper application of the international Morse and semaphore codes and when, where, and how they can be used to best advantage. 2. Make an electric buzzer outfit, radio transmitter, audio oscillator, blinker, or other signaling device. 3. Send and receive a complete message of not less than 35 words in the international Morse code by buzzer or other sound device at a rate of not less than 35 letters per minute. 4. Demonstrate an ability to send and receive a message in the international Morse code by wigwag and by blinker or other light-signaling device at the rate of not less than 20 letters per minute. 5. Send and receive a message by semaphore code at the rate of not less than 30 letters per minute. 6. Discuss briefly various other codes and methods of signaling that are in common use. End of Requirements.

1961 Printing, Copyright 1940:

To earn the Merit Badge for Signaling*: you must:

1) Make an electric buzzer outfit, wireless, blinker, or other signaling device.

2) Send and receive in the International Morse Code, by buzzer or other sound device, a complete message of not less than 35 words, at a rate of not less than 35 letters per minute.

3) Demonstrate an ability to send and receive a message in the International Morse Code by wigwag and by blinker or other light signaling device at a rate of not less than 20 letters per minute.

4) Send and receive by Semaphore Code at the rate of not less than 30 letters per minute.

5) Know the proper application of the International Morse Code and Semaphore Codes; when, where, and how they can be used to best advantage.

6) Discuss briefly various other codes and methods of signaling which are in common use.

* A Second Class Scout must first qualify for First Class Scoutcraft requirement 6.

Stosh

• 11 months later...

I also agree that it isn't obsolete. I would love to get my hands on a copy of the Signaling merit badge book to teach the boy in my troop about flag signals. Before long (if it isn't already) the skill will fade into history.

So anyone know where I might be able to get my hands on a book?