Eagle Court of Honor

The last few Eagle Court of Honors I have attended within my troop it seems that they almost becomes Roasts for the Eagle with people coming up to tell funny or humorous stories about the new Eagle.

These are not mean spirited stories.

How are the Eagle Court of Honors that you attend? Are they serious or are they a little more laid back?

Yah, fun observation, dan.

Da ECOH's that are more youth-run tend to have that laid-back character. Meaningful, but especially meaningful to da youth.

Da ECOH's that are more adult-run tend toward da pomp and ceremony stuff.

Both have their pluses and minuses, eh? I confess I really enjoy the slightly more informal ones, because they show me a lot more about a lad's and a troop's personal experience with Scouting.

Beavah

Just went to one a couple weeks ago that was along the lines of Beavah's description of a youth-planned, informal event. No long-winded adult speeches, a couple of short funny stories shared by people who knew him well (including his peers), some ceremony and a couple teary-eyed moments, and then on to eating cake and checking out the displays of photos and cool stuff the boy had done, youth and adults talking and laughing together about scouting and the troop and this fine young man's achievements, and that's it. I have to say that I really enjoyed it myself, and knowing this young man, it would have been a poor fit to have a super serious, formal ceremony. There's a lot to be said for a youth who has the self-confidence to be comfortable just being himself, even at ceremonial pomp & circumstance type events.

For us the boys and their families plan the whole thing. If they ask a leader to say a few words they can depend on some humorous anecdotes. They usually get to relate a few themselves if they want. But it never gets to the level of a roast, I think. We're always supportive and proud - perhaps in a lighthearted way.

The ceremonies in my troop also have "a little bit of everything." Generally, the ceremony starts with welcoming speeches, a prayer, and a short ceremony about the scout law and oath, and then the eagle charge. This portion tends to be serious, but we try to maintain a "warm" personal feeling.

Then, the new Eagle Scout generally gives a brief thank-you speech. Then, our current SM has a tradition where he'll give a brief speech. As he says, "I'm the Scoutmaster, I get the last word." (He joking when he says that, by the way - his wife gets the last word!) Anyway, the SM will give the final short speech, which generally consists of funny stories about the Scout. But, its structured in a way that shows how the Scout has grown and matured over the time he's been in the troop.

Honestly, who said Scouting had to be serious? I am an Eagle scout, and I know I had a ton of fun in Scouting. At my ECOH, a bunch of us told funny stories, myself included. I'd be kind of offended if we didn't. But, at the same time, it is important to reflect the importance of the achievement, and this is done through "serious" periods in the ceremony.

Earlier this month we attended and ECOH for a boy from Nephew's Troop. This boy had earned his Eagle last summer but between staffing camp and starting college he didn't have time for his ECOH. Well, his stepfather (Scouter) organized it for him and it was a wonderful blend of Youth and Adult run. There were a few humorous stories (mostly from peers) and a few "awww" moments (mostly adults). It was all very nicely done.

One moment that proved to be special for him was something I was able to help make happen. He attends the same military university that my boss (A Scouter) graduated from. I asked my boss if he would attend and he was delighted. Well, he asked me if there was going to be cake and could he bring his school saber for the new Eagle to cut his cake with. The young man was absolutely thrilled that Boss brought the saber. Even though the two had never met before that day, there was that bonding over Scouting, School and Saber. It was a great day.

YiS

Michelle

And here I thought that by the time the scout has his Eagle Court of Honor the advancement side was pretty much done? But what do I know.

It sounds like most troops are the same with some light stuff and some serious stuff.

I have done one Eagle Charge, a scout said I was the only one that he would allow to do it, the troop has a tradition that only another Eagle Scout can give the charge, boy did that ruffle some feather.