2008 Rank Requirement Changes - Info

Thanks for the link -- it's what I've been looking for to pass on to all our Scouts below the rank of Star who will need to fulfill these new requirements. We've been tapdancing on this for a bit, knowing what the requirements stated but not (until now) having the "official" backup information so our Scouts will know how to address these requirements. But now we do, yay!

Has anyone inquired as to how boys already working on a rank are to be treated? Example, as of Dec 31, Sammy Second Class has completed everything for First Class except Spirit, SM Conference and BOR, does he have to go back and do the cyberbully requirement? Is there a grandfather clause or a time limit?

If we're talking policy...

From what I've seen, there is no transition period. If the Scout was not BOR on 31 December, the new requirement is part of the matrix.

If we're talking what you submit to Council...

Advancement Reports are reports of attained rank. If a SM/CC/Adv Coord chooses to deviate from policy, they need to look to themselves and the Scout Oath and Law. Even so, Council will record what you submit, either on Internet Advancement or in hardcopy.

I was wondering the same thing that Molscouter brought up. When requirement 11 was added to 1st Class a few years ago, there was a grace period where scouts already working on first class had time to earn the rank without completing the new requirement. Once that period ended, the scouts needed to complete requirement 11. It seems reasonable that something like that would occur now too, though I haven't seen anything more.

SWScouter

MOL,

On previous changes to Requirements #33215 National gave explicit guidance on implementing a requirement for a Scout already in the program. This time, it didn't happen.

Further, either Requirements or Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures #33088 gives the broad-brush standing guidance on what a Scout does when the MB reqruirements shift whilst he's doing it (you're right though in describing what happens).

There have been previous incremental changes to basic rank requirements. Until this change, as I said before, we got instructions; this time we didn't.

To me, I infer that the requirement changed effective 1 January with no further transition. If you weren't S-T-2-1, then the requirement was an add-on to your task list. Period.

We had an extensive discussion of this issue when the National Advancement Committee rolled out the changes. Has anyone out there received any other implementing guidance beyond my inference???

http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=174698

John,

I was just looking for clarification. We have a COH coming up the 1st week of February and have 2 kids who are in the situation I described. I want them to complete everything they have to, but I don't want to unnecessarily add something if they are not required to. Looks like they'll have to do them.

That was a concern of ours as well -- we have one boy up for his 2nd Class Board of Review next week, and another coming up right behind him, who has completed his 2nd and 1st Class requirements EXCEPT for the newly revised/added requirements, another who has completed all Tenderfoot requirements except for the newly revised one...

We've informed the Troop and the boys that these new requirements had come down the pike, but needed to give them the "official" answers to study up on...

Our conclusion was to inform the Scout up for 2nd Class BOR next week and his parents that we'll need to review this new requirement with him at his BOR.

We'll address this with the other Scouts as well, but none of them have had their Scoutmaster Conferences yet, so our sense is that it won't be quite as big an issue with them.

mol

Two other options for you...

1) Call your District or Council Advancement Chairman... see what guidance he/she has been given.

2) Call your Council; one of the Professionals is the Staff Adviser to the Council Advancement Chairman.