need eagle help asap. please look

my 18th birthday is about a week away, and i have finished everything. i have a few last questions

1. what do i do at my scoutmaster conference? (i'm meeting smaster tomorrow)

2. there are many dates on the eagle app. i am not sure about many of them (exact date i joined, exact date of life scout, etc)

3. who do i turn in my eagle app and eagle workbook to?

4. do i need to do anything else besides #3? (besides EBOR)

please reply, and thank you

- James

Jmaes,

Congratulations on making it this far. Does your troop have an Eagle Coordinater that assists your Life Scouts through the Eagle process, usually a committee member, the Committee Chairperson, etc? Who went to Council and picked up your Eagle packet? This is usually the person that should be assisting you.

Your Troop's Advancement Chairperson is the person that should be filling out all the dates for merit badges, position of ranks held, starting date in Scouts and the Troop. The Adv. Chair should be able to print out a copy of all you dates for you to use to fill in the application. Specifically ask your SM at the conference about these. It may be being handled and you just aren't aware of it.

In our Troop, as long as all the merit badges, Eagle project book, Eagle application, anything that need a date prior to midnight of the start of you birthday, our Troop considers everything in on time.

Have your 5 Letters of Recommendations been sent back to your SM or the person handling the Eagle Application?

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

the person who was in charge of the dates left a long time ago, and does not have my records. i asked the main person in charge of our entire troop (dont know official rank name) and he says he doesnt have anything

do i need 5 letters of recommendation? or can the people checking my application simply call my references. when it said recommendation, i did not think of it as a written letter, but just simply someone who knows i live by the scout law/oath, and hence i did not ask anyone in particular to write me anything, but i told them what i was listing them down for. what should i do about this?

Ask the SM for guidance. You need the letters, one from your parents, one from your religious leader (if Hindu or a religion that has no local leader, a parent can write this letter also about your involvement in your religion), a teacher or two, an employer. I don't remember specifics. I think there are forms in the Eagle packet that you can give them. Also, the letters are suppose to be mailed back to an adult on the committee or the SM, not to you. I would get the form and envelopes (self addressed and stamped) to your desired reference people today if possible, no later then Monday evening and make sure that they are dated and hopefully in the SM hands by your birthday.

Dates: Is your Scout book filled out, dated and signed. You can us these dates.

Meritbadges: Pull out your blue cards that the counselor gave you. You should have a third of the card and the Troop should have their third of the card. If the Adv. person did their job at all, Council or your District Adv. Chair. should have some record of your advancement.

Stressful, I know. my son finished his last required merit badge at 6:30PM the night before his birthday and was putting the application in the Chairperson door at 10:30 that night for him when he arrived home after the football game.

it is dated and signed, but the writing is not legible. and i completed pieces of the rank, and dont know the day when everything was officially done and my BOR passed

as for the letters of rec, i'll try to think of something. does it have to be formalized or anything with specific instructions/guidelines? or can the writers just write what they feel about me regarding the scout oaths/law/scouting.

thank you so much for helping me

i dont see an edit button, so i'm going to have to do a double post. sorry in advance.

i think its important to mention that my troop is falling apart. four of the top leaders have left, and now we are left with only the committee chairman. i dont know the whereabouts of the other four people, because i was away from scouting for so long (senior year of HS, freshman college, etc) and so much has changed since i was away. i can ballpark and try to guess the dates of advancement, but they wont be the exact ones

do you think my eagle will be rejected or delayed if i'm missing dates? i am 110% sure that the wait periods (i.e. life must be 6 months in to do eagle) do not go against the rules.

This is unfortunately what happens when Troops are not serious about recordkeeping. I would call your Council office and talk to the Registrar. Explain your dilemma and ask for an appointment to come down and research your records. Hopefully they have everything recorded in ScoutNet. If your troop did not submit advancement records to Council, then you have a problem. Good Luck.

OK, now I can help with specific questions:

1) www.nesa.org ... there is a downloadable and fillable adobe pdf of the Eagle app. It's not savable though (SFAICT). That's takes care of converting the "sloppy copy" to something you can use. If you really want, PM me. EagleSon did a powerpoint of the app, and you can fill in your various info and save it.

2) Color print your app, then no one will ever know the diff between a BSA printed copy and your printed copy.

3) Contact your District Executive. Your BASIC advancement detail (ranks, MBs) is on a national database called ScoutNet. Since FC, S, L dates, as well as your 21 MBs, are part of the app, that helps with a lot of the info.

4) (ETA) The date you earn Scout should be the date you joined your Troop!

5) Get ahold of your CC. SOMEONE should have kept records. The first Crew EagleSon was chartered to closed its doors forever Monday. I was advancement guy, I emailed copies of everything to the final members, and I will keep copies til the last young man turns 18.

HTH(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Also contact your District EB chair.  Ours is a VERY big help. The letters ARE a REQUIREMENT!!! Get those done ASAP!  Many council/district websites have info on them.    All items need to be done the day BEFORE your 18 birthday not on your birthday.

Goodluck!!

Asking for the letters is a requirement, but I'm not sure receiving all 5 back is a requirement, since that is truly out of the control of the scout in question. Still, you should be able to get your parents to do a letter very quickly, and the same probably will hold true if you call back your references and explain to them that you do need a written ref. after all. Most of the ones I've seen are short and to the point, not requiring that much effort on the writer's part, so just ask them.

Good luck with your SM conference and the rest!

James,

Good Luck on completing the Eagle Scout Rank!

You have already received some excellent advice from our fellow Scouters. As John in KC stated, you should have obtained the Eagle Scout Rank Application. In addition to this form, you should read completely thru your Eagle Scout Leadership Service Project Workbook. Cover to Cover, at the end you will see the 12 Steps from Life to Eagle. You should have the most recent is a 2007 Edition. 18-927E. There have been some minor additions to the 2003 Edition 18-927D. Also your unit committee should have the Advancement Committee Guide Policies and Procedures, No. 33088D

Specifically you asked.

1. what do i do at my scoutmaster conference?

I would say be yourself. Either he or she will concur that you have Scout spirit and understand the Scout Oath and Law, or recommend you to come back for another Scoutmaster Conference. If you have demonstrated Scout Spirit all along, it should be easy.

2. there are many dates on the eagle app. i am not sure about many of them (exact date i joined, exact date of life scout, etc)

Ask your Scoutmaster first. Your Scoutmaster should direct you were you may obtain the correct dates.

3. who do i turn in my eagle app and eagle workbook to?

Your Scoutmaster. Your Scoutmaster should have provided the next signature after your own application signature. If you Scoutmaster returned these to you, they should have shown you the application (and workbook) and which signature is next.

4. do i need to do anything else besides #3? (besides EBOR)

Really no. If your documentation is prepared. After the Eagle Board of Review is complete, the next signature is your Council Scout Executive.

And one of your final questions.

do you think my eagle will be rejected or delayed if i'm missing dates?

I would expect. It will be rejected if you have missing dates. I would reject it. It will be delayed if you have incorrect dates. Incorrect dates do occur (less frequently now with databases and online advancement). No dates, no merit badge cards, no signature in your handbook and no proof completion; bottom line, these are difficult to prove without any evidence.

It is possible to earn the Eagle Scout rank after you have turned eighteen. However, all advancement requirements (ranks and merit badge) as well as the Eagle Scout Leadership Project should be completed.

The Trail to Eagle should primarily be your own, but your Scout leaders assist all Scouts in that trail. You first stop, should be your Scoutmaster.

Your Scoutmaster should know all the members of your Troop Committee members.

You asked "What do I do at my Scoutmaster conference?"

My thoughts, you should have all your documentation in order, your Scoutmaster will sign your handbook, and your Eagle Scout Rank Application under requirement 6. Your Eagle Scout Leadership Service Project Workbook should have been signed after you have noted changes to the project and provided completed photographs. There are three signatures there, the applicant, the unit leader and the project benefactor.

You will need to provide your own statement of ambitions and life purpose. That means, your handbook is complete, your advancement is complete, and items 1-5 of the application are complete.

After your Scoutmasters conference and his endorsement, your unit committee chairman needs to endorse everything on the application and submit the application to your Council Service Center.

Finally a comment about the Letters. Letters are not always a requirement. This is a Scouting Urban Legend. A reference letter may be required. It depends on the council. Also, the way I read the most recent edition of the workbook. It is the council that provides the letters, forms, or phone calls, not the Eagle Scout applicant.

If you read your Eagle Scout Leadership Service Project Workbook. You should have seen "The 12 steps from Life to Eagle" Take a look at step 6 of the 12 Steps from Life to Eagle.

"The Scout shall have listed six references (five if no employer, and parent if no organized religious association). The council advancement committee or its designee contacts the references on the Eagle Scout Rank Application by letter, form, or telephone checklist. (The council determines the method or methods to be used.)"

Again ask your Scoutmaster, if your Scoutmaster does not know, they should inquire to the Council Advancement Chair. There is no standard BSA letter format between the different councils or districts.

Having someone sit down and write a letter is sometimes difficult. Ideally, if they think you are worthy, your references will sit down and write a brief letter on your behalf. You don't have control over other people. You do have control over making their reference letter much easier. Does your council have a desired form letter? What you do have control over is that you may provide them a form letter, a pre-stamped envelope with the council's address. Again, Your council will let you know what they desire.

Good Luck on completing Eagle Scout!

Crew21 Adv

Yah, hi Inkprkn,

Congratulations on gettin' this far, eh? :)

Now, take a deep breath.

If you go back and look at the first thread you started, we had some detailed advice for you there in case you missed it.

Now to your specifics:

1) At your SM conference, you talk to your SM! I expect he's a good guy, eh? You'll talk about your experiences in Scouting much like what will happen at your Eagle Board of Review. He'll help you with paperwork issues if he can. Bring your stuff. Relax. It should be fun. In the end, you'll get his signature on an Eagle Application and in your Eagle Project Workbook.

2) You didn't keep your advancement cards? ;) Not to worry. If your council office is close, go visit and ask to see the Council Registrar. She/he will help. If your data is "in the system", no problem. If something you need is not in the system, then you'll need to take an Advancement Report form (backdated) to your SM and CC to sign and bring it back to the council office. If your council office is not close, just call 'em! Just not havin' the date on something isn't an issue, it's not havin' the record of something in the system (or having an invalid date).

3) Your Eagle Application and Workbook will come with you to your Eagle Board of Review. Usually they will be signed by the board and turned in there.

4) Depending on your council, you'll need to have letters of recommendation mailed to the Eagle Board of Review (not to you!). Some councils don't ask for letters, but most do. If yeh PM me I can send you a copy of the text we use when we ask for letters. The letters can be "free form" as you suggest.

You will also need a resume of your leadership and other positions outside of scouting, and a statement of your life's goals and values. See the back of your Eagle Application for a (very) brief description. These can be in any format and any length.

After your SM conference tomorrow, make contact with somebody called your "District Advancement Chair". He/she will help if your CC and SM can't.

It's a bit of paperwork and runaround, but everybody in your local area is willin' to work to help you, I'm sure. Just ask.

Beavah