Can an Asst Scoutmaster perform an Eagle candidates scoumatser conference

Hello,

Our scoutmaster's son is ready for his eagle scoutmaster conference.

I am an Assistant Scoutmaster serving 4 active years in our troop.

I usually perform the lower level rank scoutmaster conferences due to the large size of our troop. That leaves the Scoutmaster the ranks of Star, Life & Eagle.

In as much as the scoutmaster's son is due for his eagle scoutmaster conference, and to avoid any appearance of a conflict of interest, the eagle candidate has asked if I would be willing to perform the eagle scoutmaster conference.

I have reviewed a host of eagle scoutmaster conference appropriate questions, and am well familiar with the eagle project. As such I feel comfortable with the task at hand.

Is their any prohibition on an Assistant Scoutmaster performing this eagle scoutmaster conference?

The reason I ask is that according to scouting.org

Scoutmaster Conference Training

The Role of the Scoutmaster Conference

"Even in a large troop, a Scoutmaster should not delegate a conference with any candidate for Star, Life, and Eagle."

I know it says should not and not "shall not".

I just thought I would run it past you folks.

Thanks.

Welcome, tree!

Yes, the SM may delegate conferences to any specific Asst SM. This is advisable (though not required) for his own son and can also be a good idea for a new SM who isn't familiar with the older Eagle candidates. In each case, the candidate must get the SM's permission first, before requesting a conference with another Asst. SM.

Hello, tree. Welcome to this forum.

The only restriction I'm aware of is that a Scoutmaster or Assistant Scoutmaster should not conduct a scout's Board of Review. As you know, that is reserved mainly for troop committee members and sometimes others. I've not seen or heard of any restriction about an Assistant Scoutmaster conducting a Scoutmaster's Conference on behalf of the Scoutmaster. In fact, in this particular case, I believe the Eagle candidate is very wise to ask you this favor to avoid a perceived conflict of interest situation. Carry on, and best wishes to you, your troop, and your Eagle candidate :).

Tree,

I think you are solid ground. All the parties agree, and the purpose for making the switch is a valid one. You seem to have all of the qualifications I would want of someone fulfilling this important role. I say go for it.

One other way to proceed could be like our Troop did it for our SM's son. Our SM was not willing to let his son "get off easy" by letting one of the ASMs do the conference. All of the ASMs at the time were pretty new. So he asked one of them to participate with him for his son's SM Conference.

Although the SM has only the one son, we agreed after the experience that this was a great situation. The Scout got the benefit of his father's SM wisdom, the ASM got a glimpse at the process, and the Scout got a fair conference that at least mostly avoids the appearance of favoritism.

Good luck with your conference. I'll bet you (and the Eagle candidate) will do well!

Mark

I am the SM of the troop and I thought it best to delegate my son's Life SM conference to an ASM for exactly this reason.

However, for the Eagle SM conference, I will participate but will still ask at least one ASM to sit in and we'll do it together.

Many thanks for the rapid and clarifying replies.

I'll proceed accordingly.

I have no reservations concerning this prospective eagle scout. He personifies everything an eagle scout should stand for. A genuine fine young man.

Last year as a 10th grader he was selected as Student Athlete of the week by a local TV sports show.

That is an honor few high school seniors receive much less a 10th grader.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Best regards

tree

I think that not doing a SM conference for ones own son is quite common. I as ASM did the scoutmaster's son's Star conference just recently. He on the other hand did both of my son's Life conferences the first being a two month deferral while he got up to speed in his new POR. I have done SM conferences with both the other ASM's sons recently as well one for second class the other for tenderfoot. We are a team and all of us have other commitments in scouting and out. The scoutmaster is also a Cubmaster for his younger son's pack so is not at troop meeting on pack meeting night.

I don't see how any one could say any thing about favoritism since a scout does not need to "pass" his S.C., he only must participate in one.

That said, he could have one with his SM, his ASM and any one else who want to have a heart to heart talk about his scouting and his life. Ten in one night if you want.

I have to assume that your Troop is in a District and that the Eagle candidate will be going before a District level EBOR. Why not ask the Dsitrict Advancement chairman what his/her thoughts are about the ASM doing the SM conference.

I view the Eagle SM conference as quite a bit different as the other SM conferences for rank. In it we (Eagle candidate and myself the Scoutmaster) go over the Eagle application and we review his Eagle Scout Leadership Service Project write-up.

I've seen in some literature (not sure of the source) that "only the Scoutmaster may hold Eagle Scoutmaster Conferences" but not sure of its validity. Personally, I feel it is important for the Scoutmaster to give the Scoutmaster Conference for the Scout badge and Tenderfoot because it is important the SM gets to know the Scout as soon as possible and vice versa - the Scout should get to know the SM.

Bottom line - the SM "owns" the advancement program in the unit and therefore "sets the rules" always within the boundaries of the BSA of course.

It's the SM's own son?

I do not know of a DAC in the country who wouldn't allow an ASM to cover for the SM ... it's the Adult Association Method in action.

What happens when the SM is out of the local area for an extended period, but the CC/COR agree he stays SM? Yep, an ASM covers.