New Advancement Requirements

I got this in an e-mail from my council:

New Boy Scout Rank Requirements

The National Youth Protection Committee recommended additions to Boy Scout rank requirements that were approved and will become effective January 1, 2008 . These changes will help us advance the importance of Youth Protection training beyond the initial Boy Scout joining requirements, and keep youth informed and actively engaged in understanding the key elements of personal safety and protection.

Tenderfoot Rank

Revised requirement 9: Explain the importance of the buddy system as it relates to your personal safety on outings and in your neighborhood. Describe what a bully is and how you should respond to one.

Second Class Rank

New requirement 8b: Explain the three Rs of personal safety and protection.

First Class Rank

New requirement 12: Describe the three things you should avoid doing related to use of the Internet. Describe a cyberbully and how you should respond to one.

QUESTION: Does anyone know where I can find the "official" answers to these? Normally I'd look it up in the Handbook, but that won't be out for some time.

Thanks,

Ken K.

Ken,

We just had this conversation:

http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=174698

Eamonn linked a Scouts UK book to the thread. There is also the "youth protection for youth" detachable booklet that's embedded in the Wolf, Bear Webelos, and Boy Scout Handbooks. That's the apparent resource unless/until National publishes a new edition of the Handbook.

Does that help?

Official Answers

(from some kids I was talkin' to at a school event tonight)

Tenderfoot Rank

Revised requirement 9: Explain the importance of the buddy system as it relates to your personal safety on outings and in your neighborhood.

If I took a buddy everywhere I went around the neighborhood, everybody would think I was gay, which wouldn't help my personal safety. It might be important on an outing, or not, dependin' on how experienced I am and where the outing is. Really cool guys like SurvivorMan never have a buddy.

Describe what a bully is and how you should respond to one.

A bully is a jerk who pushes other kids around. Best way to respond is to punch them really hard. Repeat as necessary. Unlike all da other things the adults tell you to do instead, this one really works. :)

Second Class Rank

New requirement 8b: Explain the three Rs of personal safety and protection.

Run away

Return

Reload if necessary. :)

First Class Rank

New requirement 12: Describe the three things you should avoid doing related to use of the Internet.

1) Never use a Microsoft product.

2) Make sure when you download music you're using your neighbor's wireless network.

3) Never talk about your girlfriend on any online site she might see.

Sorry for the rehash all. I've been out of town for the last two weeks (Frankfurt & then Texas) and missed that thread.

Even so, I do hope the BSA publishes some guidance for Scouters to help us out. We certainly want to teach them "correctly".

Thanks,

Ken K.

Ken writes:

"Even so, I do hope the BSA publishes some guidance for Scouters to help us out. We certainly want to teach them "correctly"."

In the meantime Beavah's "Official Answers" are going on our Troop's bulletin board.

Kudu