Yah, just to be clearer, eh?

We have mom calling this a BOR. Maybe da troop leadership even used the word. But it's clear that this council uses district-level EBOR's, eh? So nothing at the troop level was really a BOR.

What happened was da scouters and the CC met with the boy and told him that the Committee Chair was not going to approve his application, based on input from all the scouters.

That's within the unit's purview, as is holding any sort of reflection prior to committee or SM signatures on da application.

Best not to get caught up in the misuse of terminology.

Also good to remember that since the boy is over 18, there's no need to rush things. He's not allowed to "do" anything more. The district EBOR can be held any time within the first three months after his birthday (and it's easy to get an extension to 6 months). Appeals can happen after that.

Bein' thoughtful and respectful helps all the facts come out and allows folks some time to calm down.

Beavah

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

The time to fool around with these adaults is over. Take his case directly to council so he can get the process on the road. These adaults new better, this was an ambush on an unsuspecting scout and they should be called on the carpet for it.

The only way to make the advancement process work is to call those that abuse the system for thier own little kingdoms.

Maybe it's just me, but I had the same thought Hunt did:

"But...the boy stayed home to "help clean" when he urgently needed these signatures? This is all after his 18th birthday, when he had turned in the wrong application...which he found online and filled out the day before his birthday? This story doesn't really make sense to me...maybe we need more details before we leap to his defense."

The boy sent very important paperwork with his little brother to get signatures? Was house-cleaning more important than straightening out his Eagle paperwork?

Regardless, appeal needed ASAP. This site may help you understand that process:

http://www.dacbsa.org/p&p/p&p-Adv-EagleAppealProcess.htm

Good luck!

First off not all councils will accept the web site version. Second how can you fill something on line that requires hand written signatures? Doing what someone told you or what you read on line as opposed to what the people that are required to sign the application are telling you may not be the best path.

LH

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't a troop committee hold a BOR for any reason (or no reason)...not just advancement? I do find it strange that they were willing to sign the original (incorrect) form, but then changed their minds. What happened in between?

I had the same thoughts about the scout staying home to "help clean" while little brother has to take care of getting the form signed. To me that sends a clear message that the scout is not really interested.

LH,

With respect, the last 3 Eagles in my unit used the downloadable from NESA, and they were accepted.

Heavens to Betsy, when it was EagleSons turn a year ago, I downloaded the then non-fillable pdfs, backgrounded them to powerpoint, and had EagleSon do his app that way. Council accepted it.

Maybe not yours, but mine does.

That's why I said "not all councils will accept the web site version" and didn't make a sweeping statement such as "the web site version is not acceptable". Unclear as to the power point reference. Why create a power point after getting all the necessary signatures? Why not just submit the form with the signatures on it?

LH

EagleSon does not have the neatest handwriting. He's pretty good at computing though. I no longer have a typewriter. It's imo as dead as the dodo.

Fifteen months ago, National/NESA did not have a "fill in the blank" online eagle app.

Using powerpoint, I made one.

spinnaker,

Go with Beavah's suggestions. They are on the mark.

Problems I see with the whole thing, both sides, Mr G's and your sons,

Sons:

1) Death bed Eagle - but I have one of those too.

2) Sending his brother with the paperwork, unless this had been pre-approve as alright with the SM. The SM should have notified the CC of the plan.

4) Why the sibling? The clean up, was it a grounding or punishment, or was his brawn and strength needed?

5) Did he approach any of the leaders for help with the paperwork?

6) The thing he did do right was drop everything he was doing, respond to the last minute demand.

7) Why did your family transfer to this Troop?

The Troop:

1) Who called the Troop BOR?

2) Where were the other required two committee members that were needed to make it an official Troop BOR?

SM's and ASM's don't count and can not sit on BOR's.

3) Why wasn't the BOR set up with a time and date, instead of a last minute snow-job?

4) Where was the SM during this meeting?

5) Did the CC or Mr G toss this together without the SM's knowledge?

6) did the troop supply your son with an Eagle Advisor?

Our troop has someone act as an Life to Eagle Advisor, presently our CC, former SM, an Eagle.His job is to follow up frequently with the Scouts that are Life. When it is application time, he gets a packet from the Council, gives it to the Scout and goes over what needs to be done. Our DAC also runs a Life to Eagle RT to discuss with the Scout, SM and parents what is expected, and how to do it correctly. The paperwork is then turned into the advisor.

CC then calls a the Troop 's Committee and sets up an unofficial fishing expedition (Troop BOR), just to make sure that all the dates, POR's, ranks and MB's fall into place correctly. the SM and ASM's do sit in one this. The Scout may see faces that he has never met before. He is told that we are there to prepare him for his District EBOR. Dates are checked over, with his input. Questions that he may come across are asked of him, to see how he responds. He may be given tips on how to answer a question appropriately.

ie) We just had a Death Bed Eagle run through his troop BOR. His letter from the Priest wasn't stellar, with comments like " I don't know this person. I have never seen this person", etc. Not a good start for a letter of recommendation. The family always attended Noon Mass. The priest never held the Noon Mass and always had an Assoc. Priest from the local Catholic hospital handle that Mass. The Scout was into high school before the priest was assigned the parish. The Scout was around as his brothers confirmation advisor, it's just the priest didn't know who he was, no fault of the Scouts.

The SM and ASM are there to discuss any questions that the CM's may have about the Scout and how we feel about him achieving Eagle. The next day the paperwork is handed in at Council.

As long as everything was in the Eagle Advisers hands by midnight the night leading into the 18th birthday, not a problem. If there is an issue because of a missed signature, it's is handled. If it an adult screw-up, it is handled. The Scout is not penalized.

Sounds like G was on a witch hunt. Maybe a little jealous of your son.

Good luck and have fun at the appeal.

Let me address the technical aspects of the PDF version of the application:

Eagle Scout Rank Application 58-728 is available as a hardcopy form and as a PDF from NESA:

http://nesa.org/trail/index.html

You need Adobe Reader to open it:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Note that the item number of 58-728 has a dash; this is a bin item there is no charge for the hardcopy and it can be reproduced for BSA use.

To use the PDF:

* Save it to your computer.

* Open it in Adobe Reader.

* Fill it in the latest version is has interactive fields

* Save it, it will keep all of entered data

* Print it

* Have it reviewed

* Edit it as needed

* Print it again

* Get it signed

* Turn it in

Ed