What counts as an "outing" ?

What does your troop count as an "outing" for 2nd and 1st class rank requirements? This has come up in our troop- A weekend camping trip or hike is an easy call. But what if several boys get together to work on a MB, does that count? What about a day long MB college? where there is no camping or troop coordination other than carpooling, does that count? What about troop level JLT? Trying to be consistent and be fair to our boys! Thanks for you input!

Yah, I'm a bit confused, aliscout. There's nothing about "outing" in the requirement, eh?

"Since joining, have participated in X separate troop/patrol activities (other than troop/patrol meetings), Y of which included camping overnight."

Camping overnight is straightforward.

For the rest, it should be a troop or patrol activity, eh? Going to a counselor for a MB is an individual activity, unless a patrol schedules it specifically as a patrol activity (ex. "We're all going to go out to the lake every Thursday afternoon and work with Mr. Jones on Canoeing MB as a patrol").

So I'd say "no" to just a couple boys working on a MB. I'd say "no" to a MB college as just a silly thing to do ;), but also because it's an individual event, rather than a patrol or troop working together on something. I'd say "yes" to troop-level JLT provided it was something more than just a meeting and involved other activities.

Another thing to think about is that in most troops, by the time kids are ready for 2nd Class or 1st Class they have a lot more than the minimum for these requirements, so much so that it isn't worth even counting. So if yeh find that this particular requirement is a big deal for your program, yeh might look at how good a job you're doin' on Outdoor Method (enough outings going on?), Patrol Method (patrol outings going on?), and/or Advancement Method (are they really proficient in the other requirements after such a short time in the program?).

Beavah

I wouldn't even be looking for outings where you are. What is your regular program like?:)

If one of ours can't get his outings on our regularly scheduled and taken monthly campouts and up to three times a month(usually at least one a month) doing flag ceremonies and/or service projects and helping prospective Eagles on their projects(probably every quarter or six months right now) as a troop activity then he just isn't attending enough. :(

In my council we don't need a tour permit as long as we are within our district. That means I don't need a tour permit to go camping at the local forest preserve youth camp. Nor do I need one to go to the Nature center or on a bike hike. If all we count is troop overnights and troop service projects what happens to the patrol method? If a patrol decides to get together and ride their bikes to the lake for a day in the sun why is that not equal to a patrol deciding to get together and ride their bikes to the nature center to work on any of the Nature/enviro Sci merit badges? The requirement specifically disqualifies troop and patrol meetings and no other requirement asks for an amount of troop or patrol meetings. We have discussed "active" and we have discussed "scout spirit" and attendance at troop meetings or "outings" isn't a requirement for either. My opinion is that the SM and SPL decide what the requirements mean and write their decisions down for future reference. I did this when I became SM and the original document has been amended once in 12 years, other than to include new requirements or actual changes in old requirements.

LongHaul

The requirement is activities not outings.

In our troop some troop fundraiser (Fair Parking, dinners/breakfasts, water sales, etc), patrol/troop service projects, campouts, day trips (hikes, biking, muesum vists) all count. Anything that the troop or patrol participates in outside of a meeting.

My answer is in line with hotdesk's. Certainly there are many troop/patrol activities that do not require tour permits, and we'd count those activities.

The requirement for something to be a patrol activity in my mind is that, at a minimum, the entire patrol has to be invited.

Merit Badge work - no. Not unless the troop or patrol really did it as a group. If they decide that the troop will go ice skating on Saturday because they're working on that merit badge, then that would count.

Merit Badge college - no. Not unless the patrol really did it as a group.

Troop JLT - yes, normally I'd count this.

PLC - no, this is a meeting.

Troop meeting - anything that happens on the regular troop meeting night is a 'troop meeting'. So it wouldn't count, regardless of the activity.

Ditto most of these same thoughts.

MB College - only if it was a troop or patrol planned/sponsored event.

MB Work - no

Work on someone's Eagle Project - No

Court of Honor - Yes

Troop or Patrol organized Service Project - Yes

Troop YLT - Yes

Day activities (hike, climbing, etc.) - Yes