"ACTIVE" Defined in new printing of Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures BSA 33088

I thought it was a wake up call to units who recharter scouts they havent seen in three years and then whine when the scout comes back to earn Eagle. Why didnt they drop him 1, 2, 3 years ago? This is what the policy allows a Troop to do. You regularly engage the scout, if after 6 months the scout says don't bother me anymore, I quit, then it is duly noted and the youth knows he quit

The explanation in the website says not to allow scouts who arent doing their POR complete their time in grade. ( I agree "firing" a scout from his POR is the last step, hopefully one used in a troop every 5 years or so, but it has to be available) If Troops follow what national says, then the spectre of late returning scouts hoping to score Eagle for their college application should be reduced

Awhile back, like 3-4 years, I remember a sentiment on the forum that people wished that National would define active in the worst way. Be careful for what you wish...

(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Scouting experience is as much about giving back as it is about taking and getting awards.  It your scouts aren't "getting it", then we need to re-examine how we are delivering the program.  I wou

This topic is eight years old.  I know, I was the OP.   Let's discuss this in regard of subsequent publications of 33008.

OGO, you missed one in your examples of "what if a boy stopped showing up" What if a boy stopped showing up to school? should we call him? should we send someone to his house to try and contact him? should we engage the parents? Should we try and exert some kind of pressure on this boy to return? The answer is it all depends on how important you think attendance at WHATEVER is in the long run. I think Scouting is very important.

LongHaul

LongHaul,

No I didn''t miss that one. The PARENTS are REQUIRED by law to make sure that their kids are going to school. It is not a volunteer group.

You are correct in that Scouting is very important, but if the Scout decides not to come anymore for what ever the reason, it is the Scouts responsibility. We ALL make decisions every day that we all have to live with. In the wayward Scout''s case, we contact him by the Patrol method: PL, SPL and then the SM. If he STILL doesn''t attend any function of the Troop, then he is on our inactive list.

OGO, as long as you accept that he is on your inactive list because YOU chose to place him there. What National has said basically is that as long as his registration fees are paid the ball remains in your court. Don''t accept his registration fee but if you do then you must continue to contact him on a regular basis or not hold it against him for advancement.

LongHaul

Just a comment:

Remember, these days, a Scout is either on your charter or not. I know of no way to have Council/ScoutNet place a youth member without assignment to a Troop, absent enrolling him in the Lone Scout program.

Does anyone else know if this can be done at the ScoutNet level?

Actually Long Haul, what National has said is:

a.) The Scout is considered to be active in his unit by the following definition of Active:

A Scout will be considered active in his unit if he is:

1.) Registered in his unit (registration fees are current).

2.) Has not been dismissed from his unit for disciplinary reasons.

3.) Is engaged by his unit leadership on a regular basis (Scoutmasters conference, participation in unit activities, through personal contact, etc.).

So,

If he doesn''t care to have contact with the leaders of his troop, then he is considered ''in-active''.

Pete

He cant be held responsible

Why can''t a Scout be held responsible for anything? Aren''t we supposed to be teaching them to make ethical choices? Isn''t responsibility part of growing up?

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

PeteM, 

>>So, If he doesn''''t care to have contact with the leaders of his troop, then he is considered ''''in-active''''.<<

I''ve read the noted material in the Advancement Proceedures publication several times and I just can''t find where it says that. You can interperate what it actually does say any way you like but it will not change what it actually does say. As has been noted in previous posts to this thread the phrasing by National is meant to be as inclusive as possible and "paid up +active".

LongHaul

Ed

Scouts are to be responsible in their, what is it we call them generically? oh yes, PORs, POSITIONS of responsibility.

National even tells us that if the scout isnt being responsible, then the adults should not allow them to complete their term in office. Now, some here feel this is draconian, but its teaching responsibility. I feel every effort should be taken to reach the scout, but if he doesnt try, what else can be done?

>>So, If he doesn''t care to have contact with the leaders of his troop, then he is considered "in-active".>So, If he doesn''t care to have contact with the leaders of his troop, then he is considered "in-active" in OUR troop.

What about an SE who requires his DEs to call every scout who is "lined thru" on the recharter roster. If the parent says, "yes we still want to belong", he is added back to the roster and the unit sent a bill for the fee. It doesn''t matter if the scout hasn''t been seen in a year.

I know that OGE. But shouldn''t a Scout be responsible to let his PL or SPL or SM know he will not be attending whatever? Why should the responsibility fall completely on the adult leadership when we are tasked with helping the Scouts make ethical decisions? Is being responsible part of this?

Ed Mori

So Ed, you have a scout who you haven''t seen in four months, don''t you wonder why? Where he is? What do you do, mark him down as lost to the dark side? Why wouldnt you contact him after 3-4 abscences in a row to ask how things are? Maybe its problems you can help with, maybe you can''t. Maybe the scout says he wants to quite, so you say tink it over and you will call him back. 2 weeks later you call back, he says he quits and you say you are sad, but if thats the way he wants it, fine and then he comes off the charter. He knows he quit and so do you. Sounds like a responsible way to handle things

BUT...

Even though he said he quit, his dues are still paid, he hasn''t left for displinary reasons AND since you are talking to him as a leader in the troop, then he is still considered by National to be active.

So since National considers him active, you can''t take his name off the charter. Come re-chartering time, mommy &/or daddy "re-ups" him by paying the fees, he would still be considered active.

Unless National clairfy''s the rule, that''s how it "could" be perceived, couldn''t it?

You are correct OGE. But the Scout should still show some responsibility & make the initial call.

If the Scout says he isn''t coming back, send him a check for his registration fee he paid from the unit checking account & call you council & sak to have his name removed from you charter.

Ed Mori