There is a more to "active" than being registered. BSA does say a boy must be registered, but goes on to specify more. See

http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/mbc/rank.html

Here''s an answer provided in a Q&A about advancement:

Question: For the Star, Life, and Eagle Scout ranks, how is "Be active in your troop and patrol" defined?

Answer: A Scout is considered to be active in his unit if:

1. He is registered in his unit (registration fees are current).

2. He has not been dismissed from his unit for disciplinary reasons.

3. He is engaged by his unit leadership on a regular basis (Scoutmaster conference, informs the Scout of upcoming unit activities, through personal contact, and so on).

The unit leaders are responsible for maintaining contact with the Scout on a regular basis. The Scout is not required to attend any certain percentage of activities or outings. However, unit leaders must ensure that he is fulfilling the obligations of his assigned leadership position. If he is not, then they should remove the Scout from that position.

Ok, the request was to set a reasonable standard. Now, as reasonable men (an women, dont mean to start that argument here) will disagree with what reasonable is, but for this example, lets say the national standard becomes 60% attendance at Troop meetings and activities. Now, that would seem to be ok, perhaps even low to some of us, but I do have a question. What happens when there is a scout who comes in at 58%, because of a multitude of reasons, a real deserving scout but because of school, band, whateevr, he acheives a 58% attendance rate, do you deny him Eagle?

And who will keep track of the attendance? The unit? The Council? For units that struggle to keep track of who is a registered merit badge counselor for what badge, we task them with keeping track of who attended what event? What do we do, keep photos of them all? How does a scout who thinks he attended 64% appeal when the troop claims 54%? Is it the role of the adult leadership to be sure the lists of the events are complete and verified? Of the youth? If its the youth, what happens when a scout loses 8 months worth od data? How would a verifiable attendance system work that could be implemented nationally?

How long before you hear a scoutmaster say, well I know that national wanted 60% attendance, but in my troop, we expect 82.75% and if they cant cut it, out they go?

Perhaps a solution would be to include requirements in Star, Life, and Eagle that are more like those for Second and First class--i.e., require a certain number of campouts, etc, while in the rank. If you did that, you wouldn''t have to worry about percentages, and you would ensure at least a certain amount of activity.

By the time a boy has earned the first 3 ranks, he should have some good idea about what it means to be a participating member of his group. If he has not yet grown enough in wisdom to understand, will an adult-written rule help him learn?

Facts: The Scoutmaster is in charge of the advancement program in the troop. The Scoutmaster determines what is "active." The National Council prohibits setting up attendance requirements to determine who is "active." The POR requirements all state that the Scout serve actively.

Now I''ll steal from previous posts.

This question seems to come up on this forum and other forums time and time again. Instead of quoting BSA policy let''s look at it from the Scouts point of view. The participation requirement is explained in The Boy Scout Handbook by TO GAIN FULL ADVANTAGE of all Scouting has to offer, you need to be present when things are happening. Take part in meetings, in planning activities, and in the fun of adventures. If youre there, you can do your part to make your patrol and troop a success.

During a SM conference, ask the Scout if he feels he has met this requirement. As for myself, the Scoutmaster runs the advancement program and they determine if a Scout is active. It is also understood, with a history of appeals from the national council, that set percentages may not be used to determine active. That said, I take attendance and have at my fingertips during a SM conference the boys attendance records at troop meetings, service projects, camping trips, fundraisers, etc. I use 50% or above as a rule of thumb but not a hard definition of active.

From The Patrol Leader''s Handbook, right at the very start of the book: (thanks to Beavah)

What is Expected of Me?

While you are a patrol leader, your troop and patrol are going to count on you to live up to some clear expectations. They will look to you to:

* Represent the patrol at all patrol leaders'' council meetings and the annual program planning conference. (emphasis mine)

* Keep patrol members informed of decisions made by the patrol leaders'' council.

* Play a key role in planning, leading, and evaluating patrol meetings and activities.

* Help the patrol prepare to participate in all troop activities.

* Set a good example by having a positive attitude... and expecting the best from yourself and others.

* Devote the time necessary to be an effective leader.

"By the time a boy has earned the first 3 ranks, he should have some good idea about what it means to be a participating member of his group. If he has not yet grown enough in wisdom to understand, will an adult-written rule help him learn?"

Of course, he should have learned this..but some boys don''t learn, and unfortunately, some are opportunists, and a clear rule can prevent such persons from unfairly working the system to their advantage. Of course, you always have to balance the inconvenience of such rules to the well-intentioned against their benefits in restraining the ill-intentioned.