Eagle POR Requirements

We need clarification of the eagle requirement can a boy have one position for 3 months (say Patrol Leader) and another for 3 months (say SPL) (both eagle level positions) for a total of the 6 months needed for eagle? Or must it be ONE position for 6 months?

Thanks in advance for your help. Wasnt sure who else to ask. Have a great day!!!!!

Thank you for your reply. That is what I thought.

This scout was Life May 10th - Patrol Leader Position

September 11th - became SPL

His eagle project has been completed, needs two more MB''s. If he gets these done, and his project write up - by my calculations he can go for his Eagle BOR in November - 6 months of position(s) of responsiblity will have been fulfilled. But his scout leader is saying he has to wait until March (6 months after the September SPL position) which I believe is not correct. His mother doesn''t know the process so I''m trying to help her out and clarify the requirements. I have an email in to the council rep to get his input on this. It really isn''t a big deal - the kid is 14 - March would be fine - my son has to wait till March - his project is done and all his MB''s. But want to do the right thing.

Thanks again!!!!

The requirement says "serve actively for a period of 6 months in one or more" of the listed PORs. If you had to serve for six months in one position, the "or more" would be pointless verbiage. Therefore, it is clear (to me) that they just have to add up to six months.

First of all, the Scoutmaster is in charge of the advancement program for the troop and I would do everything in my power to support him/her and not be combative.

Second - The requirement says "serve actively for a period of 6 months in one or more" of the listed PORs. If you had to serve for six months in one position, the "or more" would be pointless verbiage. - Hunt

No, not necessarily. If taken literally, if the requirement said "serve actively for a period of 6 months in one" then my son may not have earned Eagle because while SPL for over a year he was also the OA representative so he did not serve in one position of responsibility.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. If I had a Scout serve as patrol leader for 3 months while a Life Scout and then three or more months as ASPL for example I would say that that position of responsibility requirement has been met. But, if your Scoutmaster has not made the same determination I'd try to work with him/her, not try and end around.(This message has been edited by acco40)

As stated, the "or more" makes it fairly clear. So, two, or even three would be okay theoretically. But, as noted, perhaps the SM has reason to not feel his service in one was quite sufficient for some reason, or he feels continuous leadership in one is a better measurement. Go with it, since the boy has plenty of time, and he still needs to complete some other requirements anyway if I heard you correctly.

As an extension of this; what about huge gaps in the time since the leadership occurred? A boy held the positions, then was totally inactive for two years, then came back and did the fairly typical crash course in getting it done just prior to 18. Should the scout really be doing this leadership current with his advancement effort, or is it okay to have these kind of gaps? Strength of the leadership is really what I wonder about.

Thank you to everyone who replied.

The problem has been with the SM. He is new and we are allowing for that.

We had two boys wanting to do the same eagle project (Painting fire hydrants - about 40 each) on the same day. Seperate projects - seperate plans, seperate work crews - totally seperate. He forbid it saying it wouldn''t count, its the same etc. The council rep said as long as there is a letter from the city or fire chief stating that 40 each boy is a scopeable project (IE there are 1500 in the city - one boy taking care of 40 or so is reasonable) then he had no problem and signed both project books.

This statement from the SM brought the other mom to tears before talking to the CR, angish, boy got frustrated etc. The CR said no - he is handling it incorrectly, this should not be that painful.

I believe someone talked with the SM because suddenly his tune changed. (The council rep knew right away who the SM is and he also mentioned he is new - gotta allow for him not knowing everything etc - which is fine) I wish the SM would say "I''m not sure - let me check" before making such bold statements. Would save some hard feelings.

These boys have worked hard. For the one, that project and the timing was perfect between all his other commitments (sports, band, church). Yes they both have time, but with driving around the corner, girls, might as well get it done before their interest is difficult to focus.

No one wants to argue with the SM but having another opinion so there can be a discussion is much better than going in not totatlly sure who is right.

Thanks again everyone!!!!! Have a great day!!!!!

I think communication is the key here--sometimes a leader really doesn''t know or understand the rules--or is remembering what the rules used to be in the past. Or, as others have suggested, the leader may have some other good reason for not wanting to recognize a POR or approve an Eagle project. A private, friendly talk can often clear this up.

Um, folks, one of the requirements for an Eagle Scout leadership service project is Scoutmaster approval so when the Scoutmaster says "no" then the requirement is not met. The district and/or council and troop committee also need to approve but leave one of those entities out and presto - not an approved project.

FYI, if I had two boys submit plans for painting fire hydrants I would approve it. If I had two boys submit plans for painting fire hydrants on the same day, I would not. You figure that one out!

For the record - these boys were/are in different troops. Some other parent - and I know who - made comments to the other SM about the project not being BIG enough. Funny how there have been at least 6 boys over the last couple of year do FH around the city. That SM should not have known about the other scout except for the parents big mouth. In the end - the district eagle rep took care of it as he signed for both boys with full knowledge that they were doing the same thing on the same day but in two totally different areas of the city. Each boy did his own project without the other being involved. And in the end - each boy received reviews from various neighbors in each area about how nice it look and how good of a job they each did. The city was thrilled to have them do it and asked that more boys do this particular project. One neighbor even sent $10 to the fire chief to offset costs for the project. Although the project was totally "funded" (supplies provided) by the city.

I''m not sure why the same day would be an issue? The two scouts and their groups never crossed paths.

Thanks to everyone for a great discussion.