Unit Leaders - need New Application to be a Merit Badge Counselor?

I have a question.

Prior to the requirement for all MBC''s to register/fill out an application for the local BSA Council, our unit had a list of Unit Leaders who were also MBC''s. Do we all have to fill out NEW applications to remain MBC''s?

What have others done?

Yes they want an App for each position you hold it is kind of silly but the person you are working under needs it on file. I don''t fill out the secondary ones with all the references etc. just write see other application on file there. So far I have main troop one, MBC, and Range Master apps waiting to see if I will need another one for district training comm. I suppose if you had the foresight to photocopy your original one and give two copies each time asked. When you get older it gets even worse then they want a class III physical for each position also except MBC signed by your doctor every year even when doing nothing more strenuous then calling range commands on the range. They do take photocopies of those though I just hate paying the doctor an extra fee for signing it when I am there anyhow.

It does seem silly for extra applications, physicals, etc. - seems to me it could have been "grandfathered" or something, for those already MBC''s. But - I guess there''s no way around it. It''s probably a good time to update our MBC list anyhow, considering it''s been a few years. Some of us might want to be listed to teach more, less or different MB''s since we''ve revised our list. And some requirements have even changed. But UGH the added paperwork - I am dreading it!

According to BSA, ALL volunteer applications are good for only ONE year, and need to be renewed annually.

On the Merit Badge Counselor Information sheet (#34405) (which should be attached to the adult volunteer application when annually applying to be a Merit Badge Counselor), the MBC agrees, among other things, to :

"Renew my registration annually if I plan to continue as a merit

badge counselor."

This is done to protect the the youth in the program and to make sure that records are kept up to date as to who is counseling what merit badge so the boys can have a good program.

With that in mind I have no problem if it inconveniences me a bit.

Our councils official policy is that anytime you register in a new position (or change positions) you have to fill out a new application.

Although Ive never had to do this for switching positions within a unit.

For a MBC you need to fill out an application even if you are already registered.

We also have another form that all MBCs have to fill out.

On this form you put the MBs you want to council and why you are qualified to do so.

There is also a box that you can check to say that you are a MBC for your unit only or if you are willing to do MBs District-wide.

This goes to the District Advancement Committee for approval.

Our council keeps coming up with policies like this but I dont really seeing them followed.

A couple of weeks ago I received in the mail a registration card that said that I am on the District Committee.

I dont remember filling out an application for this.

As I am still on the District Training Committee for the District where I live which is different from the District this Ship is in.

I have yet to be invited to any District Committee meetings outside the training Committee which I have been on for a couple of years.

No one has fessed up to registering me for the District Committee yet.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, we are doing it (filling in the new apps and what MBs we want to teach in the attaching paperwork). It just sucks. I asked District/Council for a printout of all the local MBCs because I wanted to work from that to contact folks and get them to update their info, and deal with the new application process. They wiped ''em out when the new policy came into effect about requiring dual-applications for currently registered adult leaders who are also MBCs. So it appears we are starting from scratch basically anyway! OH THE FUN! :)

I have been told that eventually they want to match the adult MBC to each merit badge on the Eagle application. In our council they are not there yet. But it is a goal.

Personally I do not see this being possible unless they take the draconian action of denying an Eagle application because they can not find the MBC. There would be such a howl in our council that the DE would be history.

It does make sense to have each MBC registered as a Scouter. I just don''t want to put too much burden on a guy who volunteers his time for a service like this.

I''ve thought that the reason for this is to do background checks on the leaders through the "new" leadership applications. I think there are unit leaders who have been around long enough that background checks weren''t done when they first signed up. I certainly agree that it would be a disaster to try to "match up" MBCs with MBs on the Eagle application.

I believe that Hunt is correct. The idea is to eventually catch up with all the volunteers in the system when national initiated the criminal background checks. Submitting a new form will trigger that. The new form will also have the social security number for the adult member that had never been requested before.

I am confused by some of the earlier posts. I don''t think that forms are required every year. That just does not make sense to me. Only on change of position or taking on a new position, e.g. unit commisssioner, outside your unit.

As far as physical exams go, we require these only if adults are participating in the outdoor program. If you are just a merit badge counselor for Family Life for example, no physical required. If you want to go to summer camp or backpacking, the physical is required.

I am well beyond the age where Class IIIs are required, and I thank my lucky stars that I have gotten annual physicals just for BSA purposes. I might not have bothered otherwise. Several years ago my doc, in addition to doing standard blood work, starting ordering PSA monitoring as well. As a result prostate cancer was caught in an extremely early stage and guess what? I''m still here!!!