Need ideas for Eagle Recognition

Hi, I couldn't find a forum for ceremonies so here it goes. I want to build a recognition for all eagle scouts in my troop, past, present, and leave room for future. I'd like to have decades worth of Eagle scouts on it, long past the time I'm gone. I want to make a rather large walking stick representing the trail to Eagle, where each scout that makes it will have their name and the date of becoming eagle placed on a small brass-like plate and nailed to the stick. The stick will be 5' long and 3" in diameter. At the top will be a brass eagle. At the bottom will be a simple stand that will keep it upright. I'd like to add something at the top of the stick, below the eagle that would a) look nice, and b) indicate that this is for eagle scouts in our troop. This is where I need some ideas. I could add a brass plate but I wanted something that looked more rustic. So I was thinking of some leather lacing and beadwork. I thought it would be really nice if I could do some beadwork that somehow represented the eagle award. Has anyone done anything like this before? Anyone have bead patterns for the eagle award? My fear is that the resolution of beads is too coarse to get anything that looks right. Should I forget the beads and do this in leather? Should I do some of both? Simple beadwork around a leather square that has the award stamped into it? I'm open to ideas. BTW, this project is part of my Woodbadge ticket, so I have to do it.

The idea of using a stave as a perpetual plaque is interesting. I've never seen that done before. I assume the eagle you mention will be sort of a finial on top of the stave? How about using an actual Eagle patch permanently affixed to the top of the stave below the finial?

Our troop has a more traditional perpetual plaque with brass name plates. We are closing in on Eagle #100, perhaps early next year.I wonder if we should do something special in the troop to recognize this event? hmmm...

Trevorum, yes, the eagle will be the top and will be the focal point from a distance. The reason I'm thinking of the walking stick motif is partially due to the fact that we really don't have a place to put a plaque that would hang on a wall. Also, during COHs it would be nice for the scouts to see it, and think about it, and wish their name was on it. I want it to look old and wise. This will make up for the fact that I'm just old ;)

Just some ideas to throw into the mix...

A quick search of 'beaded pattern Eagle scout badge' didn't produce any results.

How about a small leather/beaded frame that includes a sepia-colored print-out of Rockwell's A Great Moment?

I would incorporate some symbolic leather wrapping (e.g., twelve wraps for the scout law, or wraps corresponding to your unit number with each digit wrapping separated by a marking).

The wrappings could tail into a grouping of eagle feathers that dangle from the stick.

Maybe have a small dangling beaded pouch that includes a super secret special gift for the current honoree that only the eagles know about (e.g., a Silver Eagle Dollar).

Definitely have the previous Eagle Scout walk the stick up to open the ceremony.

Great idea. Good luck with it.

Our sponsoring church has a nice plaque on the wall, three actually, that list each Eagle, and date of award. There is room for more, it can easily be added to as the corps grows. I think it's very impressive and tasteful, in the hall from the entrance door to the Scout meeting room.

The stave idea is good, but I wonder about it's 'portability' and (?)lack of obviousness? Could it be 'borrowed' or (shudder) lost?

Reminds me of a Roman Legion's 'Signe", perhaps.

Perhaps make it from a rough log, even larger than 3", just strip the bark off, leave it 'branched, polyurathane it, and add a Bronze Eagle perched on it's top.

OOO OOO... I bet somebody knows somebody who knows a wood carver that might be inspired to help out with the project...There was a chain saw carver at our County Fair that did outstanding work.

Proceed as the Spirit leads!

YiS

I was also going to suggest carving an Eagle emblem on it. I received a stave as a gift from the outgoing SM of our troop when I took over. He carved my WB Totem, name and the Troop # along with the title of Scoutmaster. The carving can be simple, small, and would add a lot to the piece.

Our troop had (and may have again) plenty of space. We have a small wooden Eagle (toll painting) with a brass plate on each representing our Eagles. They are to be permanently affixed to the walls of our scout house when it's finished (laying concrete this week). We also have a perpetual plaque for the CO to display, each Eagle with a plate

This is a nice idea by the way, I really like it. The little ceremony of having a previous Eagle from the troop walk it to the front to begin the CoH is a neat tradition in the making, the secret gift is as well.

Good job on this

Thanks to everyone for their ideas and encouragement.

I like the idea of the wood carving. I also like the idea of simple. I look at the scout emblem and the Eagle emblem and they both have a lot of detail and look hard to do even for someone with skill at this. How do you simplify it?

BSA Supply has a metal Hiking Staff Medallion of the Eagle Badge. $4.49

The Tooth of Time Traders at Philmont (they also sell these through a web site) sells a Hiking Staff Animal Top of an Eagle (and the other Wood badge patrols). Its a resin cast of a woodcarving. $12

• 1 year later...

It only took 18 months but I finished our Eagle recognition. It's a 5' long walnut pole 3" in diameter with a silver eagle on top, a silver nickel molding of an Eagle award set into the wood, leather work around the award (so the award looks like an oval plate you see on walking sticks), and the names of each scout on oval name plates below. There's room for 75 names. I wish I could put a jpg here. It looks real nice.

Truly beautiful craftsmanship.! The detail on the leatherwork is marvelous. I do like the idea of a walnut pole. We do not have walnut growing in our area, but I love to work with the wood. Well done!

Our troop had it's 100th Eagle last year (we have had 2 since). We have 2 had a varnished plywood boards with brass name plates on them The first board holds about 70 or so names. I am re-making 2 boards from some unique figured cherry planks. My intention is to make each plaque hold 100 names. With 98 empty spaces, this should last us for a long time to come.