Your Favorite Courts of Honor

Yah, time for a fun, practical thread, eh?

Share your favorite Court of Honor elements, outlines, or events. What things have you/your kids done that you thought worked really well? What's a typical "program" for a court of honor that flows well? What Court of Honor "happening" was really memorable? What would yeh tell a new SM or SPL to get 'em going on a great COH.

Share some ideas and experiences with da rest of us!

Beavah

I do not believe there is such thing as typical. It is possible for every court to be different, one may have an Indian theme, the next a mountain man theme and the next may be a old time scout history theme. The main thing is to not just hand the key a badge, shake hands, say good job and call next up... make it special.

Every unit, every person, and maybe even every new group of youth leaders will do it different.

Personally my favorite are ones that everything has a theme. For example the youth leaders are dressed in a customs such as Indians, the ceremonies themselves have that flare to them along with any other reasonable elements such as food and decorations.

Make it youth ran, make it fun, make it interesting and most of all make it memorable.

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

This is an opening for a Fall Court of Honor, the Troop I serve changes SPL and ASPL etc. at Court of Honor time which explains some of the language used in the opening:

MC: Color Guard, Post the colors

(Color Guard posts the colors)

MC: Ladies and Gentleman please join me in reciting the Pledge of Allegiance

MC: As the days begin to shorten, as the temperatures begin to cool, as students return to school, And as leadership assumes new roles, we celebrate a time of advancement and change. Would The Honor Patrol recite the Opening

(The Honor Patrol reads the following)

To everything -

There is a season -

And a time for every purpose under heaven

A time to be born

A time to die

A time to plant

A time to reap

A time to kill

A time to heal

A time to laugh

A time to cry

To everything -

There is a season -

A time to build up

A time to break down

A time to dance

A time to mourn

A time to cast away stones

A time to gather stones together

A time to weep

To everything -

There is a season -

A time of war

A time of peace

A time of love

A time of hate

A time you may embrace

A time to refrain from embracing

To everything -

There is a season -

A time to gain

A time to lose

A time to rend

A time to sew

A time to love

A time to hate

A time of peace

We swear it's not too late

Now, depending on the make up of your troop you can either reference this as the Byrds Opening or Ecclesiastes and shorten the verses if need be(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

I have been frothing at the mouth to post some other possibilities and rather than run myself ragged, I will post a few more:

Another opening:

Light of Scouting Opening, Court of Honor

Start the ceremony in complete darkness. Start with a single candle torch that represents the Light of Scouting.

SPL (Holding up a candle): "The Light of Scouting burns within every Scout, giving us direction in our daily lives."

SPL (Moving to three candles): "The first duty of a Scout is to God, Country, and Scout Law."

TROOP (LOUDLY, as SPL lights the first candle): "On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law."

SPL: "The second duty of a Scout is to other people."

TROOP: (LOUDLY, as SPL lights the second candle) "To help other people at all times."

SPL: "The third duty of a Scout is to himself."

TROOP: (LOUDLY, as SPL lights the third candle) "To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight."

Two Closings

CALL FROM YOUTH

I'd rather see a lecture than hear one any day.

I'd rather one should walk with me than merely point the way.

The eye's a better pupil and more willing than the ear.

Fine words can be confusing, but example's always clear.

And best of all the teachers are adults who live their creed.

For to see the good in action is what everybody needs.

I can soon learn how to do it if you let me see it done.

I can watch your hands in action but your tongue too fast may run.

And the lectures you deliver may be very wise and true,

But there's no misunderstanding how you act and how you live and rule

For I may understand you and the high advice you give,

But there's no misunderstanding how you act and how you live.

second closing

The Scouting Promise

SCOUTING promises you the great outdoors. As a Scout, you can learn how to camp and hike without leaving a trace and how to take care of the land. You'll study wildlife up close and learn about nature all around you. There are plenty of skills for you to master, and you can teach others what you have learned. Everyone helping everyone else-that's part of Scouting, too.

SCOUTING promises you friendship. Members of the troop you join might be boys you already know, and you will meet many other Scouts along the way. Some could become lifelong friends.

SCOUTING promises you opportunities to work toward the Eagle Scout rank. You will set positive goals for yourself and then follow clear routes to achieve them.

SCOUTING promises you tools to help you make the most of your family, your community, and your nation. The good deeds you perform every day will improve the lives of those around you. You will be prepared to help others in time of need.

SCOUTING promises you experiences and duties that will help you mature into a strong, wise adult. The Scout Oath and the Scout Law can guide you while you are a Scout and throughout your life.

Adventure, learning, challenge, and responsibility - the promise of Scouting is all this and more