How do you organize your troop library?

I was looking for suggestions on how to store our troop library. I was thinking of getting a plastic bin from Staples that holds file folders and making a separate file folder for each merit badge pamphlet we have. I thought this would make it easy to find a specific book. The troop used to store the pamphlets in a wooden box someone made. I just opened it this morning and found the books just thrown in there and there were bugs and spiders in it.

Any better suggestions?

Sometime in the past one of our parents made a bookshelf out of plywood and stained it for us. We then just put the Merit Badges books in alphabetically, and any other material that goes there is alphabetical by type of material.

By estimation only, and without having it in front of me, it was probably just one sheet of plywood and 25 or so wood screws. Possibly one 2x4 cut up and put in there for braces. The shelves are tipped so that they are leaning into the back of the unit rather than flat, with an open back and a retaining piece of wood to keep the books from sliding out the back.

As a Scout I was Troop Librarian for years.. we had a wooden box that the books were kept in, organized alphabetically... at any Troop function the other Scouts or Leaders could come to me and check out a book. We had a limit, like 3 at a time or something like that. There was a form where we kept tracked of who had what book, when it was checked out, and when it was returned. We also checked condition on checkout and return. Once every so often I went through it and gave out of date books to the committee to do with as they saw fit. The committee would then approve funds for replacement books if needed. Often newer books came to use becuase we didn't have that one, so a Scout would go buy it, get the merit badge, and then give the Troop the book.

I would also like to recommend the library have other reference material too, such as a Scout Handbook, Field Book, Program Features, SM Handbook, Guide to Safe Scouting, Audbon type nature books, knot books, etc anything you can think of along these lines may be appropriate. They would also be good when the committee needs to look something up, or the PLC needs a reference, etc...

Just my wacky 2 cents...

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

While not totally an answer. What I have used for a couple of years when old books needing replacing is either have the boys donate the books when a MB is done.A better incentive for scouts that did not keep the books was offer them 33% of MB booklet value. The money was deposited to his PB account.

With national constantly changing the MB requirements most troops are finding their library's severely out of date. The books are full of good reference materials but most merit badge counselors I know now prefer to have printed worksheets with the most current info. My son is now the troop librarian and he would have lots of fun with the bugs and spiders in the book box but laser print an up to date worksheet for a MB candidate. That is why we added Jr. Asst. Webmaster to the Librarians duties. Most of our information is now electronic rather than printed. The boys can print their own worksheets as well by linking off the troops website.

The Scout,

Considering a properly outfitted troop library can cost hundreds of dollars, I submit the Scoutmaster (program officer, these are program materials), the Troop Treasurer, and the Troop Equipment Coordinator have a vested interest that the libary is maintained, run and stored properly.

The Troop Librarian can be the man on the ground, but he needs to seek guidance and approval for his actions. Even the SPL should defer on technical equipment and storage issues.