I'm a SM that needs clarification with this question:

Scout: Mr. Jones will be my represenative that will view my Board of Review. (Mr. Jones is an Assistant Scoutmaster in his Troop).

"Unit leaders, assistant unit leaders, relatives or guardians may not serve as members of a Scout's Board of Review."

Also, does this include Unit Commissioner?

Is this up to the District Advancement Chair who can observe?

"viewing" an Eagle BOR is very different than "serving as a member". It's common for the SM (or an ASM) to introduce the candidate to the BOR and then be asked if they (the SM) would like to observe. The SM does not participate (serve as a member) but is more than welcome to observe (view).

I'm reworking this to answer Donomiser's questions.

1) You as SM are normally one of the references for an Eagle Candidate. If your District uses a "hands-on" method of interviewing the SM, vice correspondence, then yes, you can and should visit with the EBOR.

2) Is there a reason you do not want one of your ASMs being there during the EBOR? If there is, you need to visit about this with your CC and COR before the board convening date.

3) If the young man has a special relationship with one of your ASMs and wants him raher than you to introduce him, that's fine. I'd contact the District Guest and CC and say "While I fully endorse Camper Timmy's Eagle app, he has asked Mr Johnson introduce him to the Board. I will defer to Mr Johnson not only the introduction, but the reference on the Eagle application. Do know I give Camper Timmy my full loyalty and support, and will be around that evening if you wish to visit with me."

This is an exception to my general belief that the SM should always introduce the Eagle Candidate, lest the EBOR see that as damnation by faint praise. In this case, the young man himself has asked for another Scouter to be given the honor.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Yah, this doesn't need to get hugely formal most of the time, eh? No reason why two people can't be there and observe.

Unit Commissioners (who aren't relatives) are permitted to sit on an EBOR as a ("voting") member.

Yes, it is up to the EBOR chair to set the ground rules for the review, and who is invited to observe (just to keep it sane for the boy). It's up to the SM to designate who speaks on his/her behalf if there's an interview to give a reference.

Beavah

Why are you as SM, being interviewed by the EBOR?

Why are you not allowed to observe the EBOR?

Your Scout is the one who is being reviewed for Eagle, not you or any other adult in your unit.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

Ed,

As we've discussed in other threads, the basic requirement for the youth is to present names and contact data for:

- Parent(s)

- Scouting Leader

- Faith community leader

- School community leader

- Employer (if employed)

- Two alternates

How each Council chooses to check references seems to be local policy discretion. While Donomiser had to give his reference already, I can see a case where the EBOR does a live reference check with someone at the EBOR.

It sure seems to be within the bounds of advancement policy...

I think part of the problem comes in with the fact that the SM is one of the Eagle references. He is to be "interviewed" by the EBOR and he is assuming that the interview will be about his reference.

From BSA's "12 Steps from Life to Eagle" in the Eagle Project Workbook -

"Reference checks that are forwarded with the application

are confidential, and their contents are not to be disclosed to

any person who is not a member of the board of review."

Donomiser is concerned that the confidentiality will be broken with the ASM there.

Perhaps, if the interview is about the reference, Donomiser could be interviewed at this point -

"The board of review members should convene at least 30 minutes

before the candidate appears in order to review the application,

reference checks, and leadership service project report."

A few things are curious.

Since when does a Scout need to have a "representative" for himself at any BOR, much less an EBOR? What is the purpose? I can find nothing allowing this, however I do not have "Advancement Policies" handy at the moment.

What is with the UC? Is he a member of the EBOR, or is he another visitor? It is permissible for a UC to be a member of an EBOR as long as the UC is not related to the Eagle Candidate.

The only reference I could find on someone viewing an EBOR is below.

Also from BSA's "12 Steps from Life to Eagle" in the Eagle Project Workbook -

"The candidates unit leader introduces him to the members of

the board of review. The unit leader may remain in the room,

but does not participate in the board of review. The unit leader

may be called on to clarify a point in question."

Now, if the ASM who is the Eagle Candidate's "representative" is to be acting in the SM's stead, I find nothing wrong with that. However any and all interviews about the Candidates references should happen in private, before the EBOR convenes, NOT during the EBOR with others in attendance.

I must say, with all of the concern Donomiser is showing about anyone hearing what he has to say about this Scout, it sounds like the reference he gave was not a positive one.

Yah, donomiser, it's really hard to figure out what the issue is here, eh?

Most places, the SM or an ASM/Eagle Advisor comes with the boy to an EBOR, introduces him, and then sits in on the board. Sorta a friendly face to make it a bit less intimidatin', also a friendly adult who can step in to clarify a point or act on the lad's behalf in the rare event of an obnoxious or out-of-control board. Me, I've always thought it polite to ask the SM for comments after the boy has left the room and before deliberation begins.

Sounds like there's some weird adult dynamic goin' on between ASMs, the UC, and the SM. Just out with it, man! There's plenty of folks here who have "seen it all". You won't surprise any of us, and it's anonymous, eh? Or yeh can personal message whoever yeh like with more details in private.

Beavah