Scoutmaster Approved Projects for Rank Advancement

My troop has a handfull of scouts who are ready to work on Star, Life or Eagle but we do not have enough POR's to cover them all. Can anyone give me some examples of Scoutmaster Approved Projects that you have used to further the advancement of scouts who do not have a POR available and want to continue their advancement? Also please let me know which you have used for Eagle and which you have used for Star and Life. Thanks,

First, you may have to prioritize: From Requirements, BSA 33215:

4. While a Life Scout, serve actively for a period of six months in one or more of the following positions of responsibility:

Boy Scout troop. Patrol leader, assistant senior patrol leader, senior patrol leader, troop guide, Order of the Arrow troop representative, den chief, scribe, librarian, historian, quartermaster, junior assistant Scoutmaster, chaplain aide, or instructor.

Varsity Scout team. Captain, cocaptain, program manager, squad leader, team secretary, Order of the Arrow team representative, librarian, quartermaster, chaplain aide, instructor, or den chief.

Venturing crew/ship. President, vice president, secretary, treasurer, boatswain, boatswain's mate, yeoman, purser, or storekeeper.

Life Scouts seeking Eagle must have a position of responsibility. Period. Troops are not granted options.

As you noted in your post, for Star and Life, you have wiggle room. Again, a quote from Requirements:

(or carry out a Scoutmaster-assigned leadership project to help the troop)

Here are some examples, right here in the KC Metro:

Organize a Troop service time trip to "Bikes 'n' Trikes 4 Tykes." They should be getting into serious rehab for the coming holiday season. How it helps the Troop? Service opportunity.

Harvesters won't let you play at their warehouse, but "Organize a small Scouting For Food drive to assist "Insert Name Here" Church food pantry." Ditto.

City Union Mission has its annual school supplies for kids in need going on right now. "Organize a school supplies collection." Since schools all over the KC metro open the 15th, how much agony is it to have everyone pick up an extra ream of notebook paper, some extra pencils, etc. Ditto

Fall cleanup day for most churches and area non-profits will soon be here. Organize the Troops participation in it. Helps both Service hours and probably your own Chartered Partner.

Heartland Presbyterian Center always has a project or two which Scouts can do. Give them a ring.

Some Troops have "adopted a highway" for litter control.

There's also "coordinate our service work on a workday" at Bartle or Naish!

Ask your UC for ideas too.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

There are a lot of projects that don't qualify as an Eagle project, but would qualify as a service project. Many volunteer organizations require workers to get things done(this is prohibited in Eagle projects), providing the bodies, and demonstrating leadership in the process would count in my book for Star and Life. It would probably outshine what most Librarians or Historians ever do.

John's correct, for Eagle, the boy must have a POR, so you should prioritize these.

In our unit, which isn't that awfully big, each boy First Class or higher are assigned a POR by the SPL and must carry out his responsibilies or risk being fired by the SPL.

I have only had to use the service project option a couple of times, once when a young man transfered into my troop and was ready to advance. We do a couple of service projects for our CO every year, and we do a couple for our host (church) as well. I asked him to head up one of these and gave him the authority to get it done. He did a wonderful job. We did a cleanup day for the church that hosts us, and they're not our CO. We refurbished their playground and weeded their flower beds for Easter Sunday. They were very happy to have the help.