Scoutmaster Conference for Eagle candidate

Looks like I'll have an opportunity to have my first one of these next week (the candidate is the SM's son so I (ASM) get to do it). Anybody have any good suggestions for things that ought to be covered. Seems this could be a good time for a little "above and beyond" compared to conferences for the lower ranks.

I would impress upon the young man that this is when continued service to others (and the troop) is expected. Too many Eagles grab their medal and say "thanks, it was great, see ya!".

Eagle is not the destination, just another step along the journey....

Having done a few ESMCs, I have these few words of advice:

Get to know the scout a little better. Find out where he's headed in life and give him some practical advice. Talk to him about his scouting career and what were his best and worst times.

Try to perpare him for the EBOR. Ask some of the questions he'll be asked there. Let him know that the Eagle board is not looking for a right or wrong answer, but that they are looking for the reasoning behind it.

Try to build up the boy's confidence so he's not so nervous at the EBOR. Let him know that the main reason behind it is to confirm that he has met all the requirments and that the process has been followed correctly. The committee wants to be sure that the scout has learned from his experience and that it has strengthened his resolve to live by the scout oath and law forever.

A believe good ESMC should last about one hour.

The last two I held were very informal affairs. I asked the young man over for tea or soda and a talk. We reviewed his paperwork, his application, and his records one last time. We sat in the den and talked for an hour or so, reminiscing on old outings, summer camps, etc. Talked about future commitment, what's next, how he will fit in to the troop when he IS an Eagle...

When we were done I asked for his book and signed the SM confrence part. "Did we just have a Confrence?" "Sure did, and you're ready for the EBoR with no problem".

Wish I had time to do all my SM confrences like that...sigh

Nice Blog Stevejb,

I work it like the PGAC, kinda rolls it up into a nice square ball? Back in the day the Personal Growth Agreement Confrence (circa 1970's) helped the scouts set goals relating to scouting and to other areas of their life. We do this for every scout at every sm confrence and make notes in the margin of their Scout Handbook. By the time they get to Eagle, we review thier stated goals, laugh at the early ones, puff up our chests at the goals met and all this helps the scout develop his statement of ambitions and life's purpose.

Beyond that we review the project, merit badges, PORs held, leadership lessons learned, outings, summer camp, high adventure trips, living the oath, law and outdoor code from now on, and then we talk about giving back, which is probably my most important message to the new Eagle. Giving back is an obligation that they should not take lightly. I'm lucky, I don't have many Eagles that leave the troop as soon as they get the medal pinned to their chest.

I do not do a uniform inspection.

We share a bit about Faith. It's a touchstone to me. It's also the area I see young men having trouble with EBORs, so I want to know if the questions can be "hard-hitting" or "lobbers."

We share a lot about the future, and how the future will change. What's Tom Peter's quote about "train and re-train?" I ask them to anticipate how many times they will have to re-invent their skills in the coming years.

We share a bit about humor, and how it can cure the blues.

I review Goals and Ambitions. Amazing how many folks need a grammar and spell checker!

Then I ask them about the site for their EBOR, and if there is anyone special they want to sit it. To me, the EBOR is the "moment in the sun" for the young man; I will move Heaven and Earth to support him in it.

Oh great! The conference was last night and now there come a flurry of posts :)

Actually, I do appreciate all the suggestions. The conference went great and it turns out that we did cover just about everything that has been suggested in this thread (no uniform inspection here either).

I'm proud of this Eagle candidate and I made sure to let him know that too.