Is it required that the scout's Scout Master present the scout with his Eagle Scout award at a ceremony or can his father present it if he is an Assistant Scout Master? Also, can it be a small family ceremony or do other Troop leaders need to attend?

The scoutmaster doesn't even need to be there (although he/she should).

Between my Eagle BOR and my ECOH, my SM got a new job in another city and moved 800 miles away. I didn't even have an address for him to send him an invitation. We didn't have a new SM and the troop basically folded for a few years after that. I had a UC from my former troop present my Eagle.

Yes, the Scout should develop what they want in their COH but if the Scout wants troop involvement, the troop has the perogative to say how they are involved. It should be a cooperative event.

The Eagle COH should 1) honor the Eagle candidate, 2) inspire the Scouts in attendance (including challenging the Eagle candidate to continue in his development, 3) honor those who assisted in his achievement (parents, Scouters, MB counselors, fellow Scouts, etc. 4) inform general public on the purpose of Scouting.