What kind of Eagle ceremony?

As I stated in my post, every unit does it differently. For some units, it's the Eagle's responsibility to organize their COH. Some units have it preplanned and will accept no deviation. And some have a traditional ECOH program that you can follow if you want, but it is up to you. That's one of the great things about scouting, while it is truly a worldwide movement, it's doen on the local level.

I don't think either method (Eagle Scout as "only" the guest of honor, with SPL etc. planning the ceremony, or Eagle Scout planning the ceremony, or other variations on those) is either required or prohibited by any BSA rule. It is left up to the troop. In our troop it is left up to the Eagle Scout to decide (within reason) what and who he wants to be included in the ceremony, and in practice it is the Scout's parents (hopefully with the Scout's input, at least) who plan the details of the ceremony, choose the MC and other speakers, decide whether the "letters of recognition" will be read, etc. Usually, the only role of the SPL (assuming that it is not the SPL who is making Eagle) is to lead the opening and closing ceremonies, which are done with somewhat more fanfare than at regular troop meetings.

I have a partial disagreement with Beavah about reading "the letters." Usually there is a mixture of letters from politicians, entertainers, the sports world, military, organizations and others, which gives a good speaker the opportunity to do a presentation that combines entertainment and inspiration. In my time with the troop we have had two committee-persons who have taken on this role at different ceremonies, and one in particular has done a very good job with it, injecting some humor here and there to make it interesting. Neither of these speakers has read all the letters, just a sampling (but almost always including the one from the White House). So it can be done in a good and non-boring manner. I suppose if it's just someone droning through the letters, you might want to skip it.

One more difference with Beavah: I think that a "formal" ceremony can still be done well. The plain fact is that a ceremony like this is partly for the guests. In the case of adult guests, many of them have probably helped the Eagle candidate along the path or watched him grow up, etc. And the entire troop should be there, including younger kids who the candidate may hardly even know, so they can see the example set by the Eagle scout. I don't think that anyone who is able to attend the ceremony should be relegated to a reception or open house after the ceremony. The ceremony and whatever social gathering may follow it are all part of the event.

(Edited to add last paragraph)(This message has been edited by njcubscouter)

Yah, I guess I get to play BobWhite (flighty birds, those...)

Courts of honor may be chaired by the head of the troop committee or the troop committee member responsible for advancement. The planning of the program also should be handled by these individuals, along with other members of their committees. Scoutmaster's Handbook

For ECOH, there's also this:

The scout and his family should be involved in planning the ceremony and selecting those who will make the presentation of the award.

So da court of honor is the troop's, to be planned by the troop committee... but the Eagle and his family should be involved, eh? I reckon that's a nice balance.

Where yeh strike da balance just depends, eh? If yeh want the ceremony to be most meaningful to the Eagle Scout, make it small and intimate and fun and light and outdoors, the way scoutmom2's Eagle requested, and leave da letters behind.

If yeh are focused on the Eagle's family and (adult) guests who were an important part of the lad growing up, then a more formal graduation / wedding type ceremony is appropriate, as NJCubScouter and others suggested.

If yeh want to have da biggest impact on the younger scouts who are still on the trail, then I reckon it's something in between, or perhaps just different. :) I'll be honest that I haven't seen ECOH's that really had that focus.

If yeh want a part of da emphasis to be on the sponsor, then yeh have the ECOH in the church/school/vets hall with invites to the sponsoring community. Seen a few of those that were even a part of a regular church service, with a reception afterward.

I think scoutmom2's son and NJCubScouter are right, eh? Da ceremony just depends on which group the troop is focused on. My recommendation to folks is always that if the focus doesn't meet everyone's needs, do two things. If yeh have a pomp-and-circumstances bit, also offer a special Eagle's Friends campout focused on the boy. If yeh have an Eagle-focused simple and fun outdoor ceremony, have a reception or open house for da adult family members afterward.

Beavah

Beavah, I didn't say anything about graduations or weddings. That's your characterization, not mine.

I also don't see where scoutmom2 said anything about an "outdoor" ceremony. (Not that having a ceremony outdoors (meaning, outside, but people still sitting in chairs) is a bad idea, but I think by "outdoors" you are talking about a camping trip, which I think excludes a portion of the people who would want to attend.)

You also seem be saying that you have to make a choice between focusing on what is "most meaningful for the Eagle Scout" and focusing on the family and guests. I disagree. You can balance both. And, hopefully, a young adult will also derive some meaning and happiness from the happiness and pride of his family. If he wants to have a camping trip with his friends the following weekend and wear his Eagle badge, that's fine too.

And, call me crazy, when my son is presented with his Eagle sometime in the next few months, if there is a letter from the president and the governor and maybe an astronaut or two, I think it would kind of nice to have them read at the ceremony. If my son objects to that, we won't do it, but I don't think he'll object.(This message has been edited by njcubscouter)