"Giving" an unearned Eagle

LH: "Eagle" didn't write the script and didn't get PLC approval before hosting the COH; it was very clearly a last-second accomodation.

The COH used the same script we always use; the only difference was that "Eagle" read the script, rather than the SM who normally does it. In fact, the SPL himself rarely has a role in the COH, and here we had a candidate suddenly reading a script that was handed to him.

Anyway, I'm trying not to harp on "Eagle's" communication MB -- his counselor signed-off, so there's nothing anyone can do. My concern is the next Scout who wants *me* to sign-off by whining: "So-and-so got to read a script at the last COH to satisfy his requirement, why can't I?".

Like I said, the only thing I can tell him is, its none of his business how "Eagle" did it, *you* will follow the rules. Any boy put in that position would naturally feel a double-standard at work; wouldn't you?

Fgoodwin, I understand what you are saying about another boy feeling that there is a double standard. I guess about all you can point out is that you are asking him to do his very best (in fulfilling requirements x,y,z without cutting corners) because you want him to have the full experience that he is entitled to. While you probably shouldn't comment on how another scout got his badge, you can certainly make sure the scouts you are working with know that you have too much respect for them to be encouraging them to cut corners.

And as someone else mentioned, make sure each of these guys has a mentor so that even if they don't have Eagle Scout Dad in the background, they know they've got someone in their corner.