Invited to sit on Eagle BOR

I was just invited to sit on an Eagle BOR - my first. Nice thing about it is, it is the BOR for one of my former Cub Scouts. Can't believe it's been that long!

I have the guide to conducting Boards of Review and have looked over the Eagle Scout section. Other than the suggested questions on that document, any advice you folks can give me?

Congrats, gwd. This is one of the most rewarding duties I have in scouting.

Advice? Normally, there is (or should be) time for only 2-3 questions per Board member. Try to put the scout at ease and have a conversation with him. Ask open-ended questions that the scout has to think about...that he can't answer with a "yes", "no" or a grunt. Remember that the requirements have been met...there should be no surprises at this stage of the game.

Enjoy!

You may be able to guess my suggested question already, but here goes:

Do you have a MySpace page; YouTube Page:

If yes then

What would I see if I went to it right now?

Would I know you are a Boy Scout?

If you become an Eagle, will it be on the page?

What would you tell a new scout just starting to post on the internet?

It's a lot of fun to sit on a EBOR, especially if you knew the child or had an impact on him when he was younger.

I like the questions suggested. The idea of giving back the troop is a hot button right now.

Older son called last night (2nd year of college, Eagle 2001) to tell me about the job interview he had today for his summer co-op job. While we were chatting I mentioned being asked to do the BOR mentioned here. Older son was Den Chief when the Eagle candidate was in Cubs so I thought he'd be interested. I also sought his advice on things to ask. Then I told him about the Myspace suggestion from OGE. Older son said, "you know, I was meeting with my advisor earlier today about my interview coming up, and he said that employers are starting to look at Myspace and Facebook."

I just thought that was kinda neat. BOR is tomorrow night and I'm looking forward to seeing my former Cub Scout again.

Thanks for the ideas folks.

Ok, I'll take a slightly contrarian view on OGE's question. I'm not big on questions like this that have an implied right answer - "Yes, I'll put my Eagle award on the page." Boys have many options for self-identification, and saying that they should choose to use Boy Scouts as part of their public persona isn't something that I'd want to push.

I know, I know, it's an open-ended question without a right answer. But I'm putting myself in the place of the Scout, and I wouldn't really like the question. I don't mind the "what would I see there?" part, but I'd just listen to their answer.

There are lots of good questions you can ask. Anything that will get them talking. Good luck.

Oak Tree

This might be more appropriate for the "Pranks" thread but went down at an EBOR. Several of our Troop Scouters had been involved at the District and Council level. Their sons were quite well known to the staff running the EBOR. Well. one of the boys had been involved in a prank involving an outhouse that had a toilet in it. One of the EBOR staffers knew of the prank, had the actual toilet brought to the EBOR and sitting in the room. The look was priceless even though not a single question was asked about the toilet.

Have fun gwd.