2007 Requirements: Camping MB Requirement Changes

"I guess I just don't understand this...to me, the MB recognizes what the boy has accomplished."

Well.....yes and no. MB's serve as a springboard for a boy exploring interests that could turn into hobbies or even a vocation. Yes the boy is recognized for his accomplishments while doing the MB and his MBC signs off on each requirement after he feels they have been satisfied. Still the question remains of whether or not the MBC "should" sign off for work done prior to taking the MB. The scout can't take the MB without getting SM approval first. If I had a boy come to me and say, "gee, I took music last year in school and my parents saved all my work, so I'll just sign up, bring my documentation and get all the checkmarks by the MBC and get a patch", I'd probably tell him to find another MB to do. The idea is to introduce boys to interesting subjects and to learn about them and show some profeciency in the subject to the satisfaction of an MBC qualified to TEACH the subject. Just attaining check marks on a form for a quick and easy patch to add to your sash isn't what MB's are supposed to be about. The accomplishment should be what the boy explained or demonstrated to the MBC after signing up for the MB.

Many, many MB's have a first aid requirement to them. Lets say a boy is a Life Scout. He has obviously passed the first aid requirements for the lower ranks. He probably has already taken the first aid MB. If the Backpacking, hiking, cycling, climbing, etc. MB has a first aid requirement, do you just automatically check it off or do you expect them to be able to do the requirement? We can't add or subtract to the requirements. Passing one over with a check mark would come close to subtracting a requirement. An SM might tell me that the boy has great first aid skills. Do I just take his word as an MBC or do should I expect the boy to be able to explain or demonstrate?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where does it state that a scout must get the blue card signed before he starts the requirements? The MBC isn't suppose to sign the blue card until the MB is complete. Do you mean initialing the specific requirement, like #1, on the back of the card if the MB is taking a long time to complete or the scout has received a only a partial?

If you read thru the MB requirements, the requirement will specify if the scout is to contact the MBC before starting said requirement for guidance (ie: Citz. in the COMM. " Watch a movie approved by YOUR COUNSELOR & YOU PARENTS." or F&WM - "Perform a conservation project APPROVED BY YOU COUNSELOR". This should be the only times to contact a MBC before starting the MB.

Now the SM is suppose to sign and date the blue card when he gives it to the scout. The scout then starts the MB.

If the scout is in the Band I would expect him to either sing or play a song unless I've already heard him in concert or at church. For other MB's, if he states he has completed the requirement at school, church, etc, he better be able to give a demonstration of the skill or produce documentation from a coach, teacher, pastor, etc that he has indeed completed said requirement if asked to. If it was last semester, I'm not going to hold that against him.

As for 20 nights camping, start the clock from the time he joins the troop. In our Council , SM or ASM can act as the Camping MBC. At Summer Camp or if the scout uses another MBC we provide a letter. If some of you out there think that the clock should start when he asks for the blue card, why not sign a card and give it to him his first night at a meeting. That alleviates all the guess work.

ASM915,

Look on page 187 of the Boy Scout Handbook. It states

"Obtain from your Scoutmaster a signed merit badge application and the name of a qualified counselor for that merit badge."

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

• 4 weeks later...

I feel that some of the reason for the MB changes to the camping is due to a situation I found myself in some years ago. I had a boy that had come to the MB counselor and said he'd camped with a "troop" for 5 days and nights and wanted it counted toward his 20. He talked about pitching a tent and all that, but.........

COme to find out, this child had attended a "day camp" at a local park and was "camping" in his grandparents RV which is better equipped than my house.

This MB Counselor was very upset by this finding and refused to finish this boy's card until he finished his 5 days again. The "witnesses" (those that attended) said this child had no time inside that tent at all..that he put it up and took it right back down b/c the park wouldn't allow a tent on a RV site. He couldn't have stayed in it even for a night much less 5.

As Advancement Chair, they came to me with this problem, and I referred them to the District level since I felt that already awarded things shouldn't be taken away unless District level or Council level was informed. They did side with the MB Counselor, but it caused a lot of hard feelings. We began making it VERY clear from then on that it meant IN A TENT and a TROOP/BSA event, not a Cub Day camp during one day and then just camping w/grandma for the rest of the time.(This message has been edited by MollieDuke)