We had two "deathbed'ers" this past year. I didn't know them from Adam when they returned and wanted to get Eagle. Our SM will bend over backwards to assist them if they actually show some personal gumption to get it done....and there is enough time. He won't poke or prod them, they have to want it and dedicate themselves to doing the work. We also had a third boy last year who said he "wanted" to earn his Eagle at the last minute, but he didn't lift a finger and ran out of time. One of these boys who did Eagle gave a little speech at his ECOH. The subject was basically to look to him as an example of how not to do it. He regretted his time away from the troop and waiting until the last minute. He encouraged the boys to stick with it.

My son turns 14 in a few weeks. He should have Life by then. "His" desire is to earn Eagle by his 16th birthday. I'm not pushing and hope that he keeps that goal in front of him over the next two years. He has seen enough guys leave the troop for sports, girls, jobs, etc. when they turn 16 and then come back at 17.5 wanting to earn Eagle, that he has determined on his own to try to be ahead of the curve. Now, Dad's desire is that he will stay in as an Eagle until his 18th birthday. We'll cross that bridge when we get there.

I too dont like the term "deathbed eagle" . I have always refered to them as Twilight Eagles. I have been a Scoutmaster for 5 years and in that time have produced 5 eagles. Of those Eagles 3 were twilight eagles.Of them 2 were very active in the Troop, in school and 1 served 2 years on staff at camp. Why did they become three year life scouts I can only guess. The 3rd boy disappeared form the Troop only to return to make eagle( I had many discussions with this forum, my comittee, the eagle BOR chairman and my local scout council to come up with what was the meaning of active and scout spirit). Since that time I have looked at the boys in my Troop and have discussed with them what the Eagle Scout charge means and how they shouldnt wait till they are 17 1/2 to go for it. Why not earn the rank of Eagle eariler and enjoy the rank while they can wear the badge.

• 1 month later...

Our troop is infamous for the 11th hour Eagle. My son and two of his buddies kept up the tradition. At least they were involved with the troop. Since then we have had 4 more. Right mow we have 2 that are working on their projects as we speak or will be starting soon.One of these 2 has not been in a leadership capacity for 2-3 years. When he is around and is asked to step up, he claims he's paid his dues, doesn't need the position for the rank, let someone else have it who needs it. He plays soccer 12 months a year, the excuse for not being there.

The CC (former SM) calls these ghosts every 3-6 months to see whats up and to encourage them. He has also adviced the present SM and myself to push the Scouting Spirit ticket with them if they want their Eagle.

Actually I would rather have the older Life to Eagle then the younger ones. They're are more mature about the whole thing and usually have served their time, USUALLY.

Eammon, at least yours was involved at another Scouting level, a higher level other than that of the troop. Yes it counts, the service and spirit was there.

I was a deathbed Eagle. As a scout I never really cared about the rank. I was extremely active in the troop and later in the Explorer Post. All the guys who joined with me as a Webelos became Eagle scouts years before I did. The troop even formed a Leadership Corps with the requirement you had to be an Eagle. While I felt a left out, it did not entice me enough to follow through on Eagle stuff.

Joined the Explorer Post. 22 scouts, 20 were Eagle. Eventually I earned the last remaining required merit badges and completed my project 6 months before my 18th birthday. I earned a silver palm. Had it not been for my parents prodding, I would have been a Lifer for Life.

At the time, I felt it would have been nice to be an Eagle but I was in the program for the fun of outdoor adventure and hanging out with my buddies. Rank was nice but held no real draw or appeal for me. Today as a leader, I attend training and earn my knots not because I want it but because I want the recognition and implied respect that comes with the badges.

Interestingly enough, and I don't agree with it, but we have one troop in our District that actually added the requirement you speak of for advancement - i.e., no one in their troop advances to the next rank (any rank) unless they have 60% attendance for outings and meetings for the 12 months preceding their request for a SM conference and BOR for rank.

Its my understanding that no one is allowed to add or take away from the requirements listed in the Handbook.  It does not matter if we do not like the current requirements; its a matter of principle.  Becoming an eagle in one unit should not be any harder or easier than becoming one in another unit. 

Can this troop continue doing this or does your District just ignore them?

No, a troop cannot require a percentage of attendance and would have any denial overturned on appeal to the Advancement Committee of Disitrct, Council, etc. but the greater question is, would a scout appeal? What would be the fall out? What lesson are we teaching?

I was a last minute Eagle. "Deathbed" isn't an endearing term, but I don't find it terribly offensive honestly. I should have gotten off my kiester much earlier in the game to be sure. The procrastination was all my doing and I'm worthy of any blame there.

I don't hold to the notion that since a kids got way too many irons in the fire that they are not accountable to follow the rules. If a young man has way too much going on to be active in the unit, he's not active in the unit. Period. Mitigating Circumstances? Sure, there are always reasons, usually good ones. Actual appropriate reasons for not attending meetings or outings? I'd say there are very few.

From my experience, and I've had a bit of it recently, denying a boy the opportunity to become an Eagle based on his most recent 6 months of attendance is a tough call. I certainly couldn't make it. A boy in my troop earned his Eagle finally. He screwed around with his project so badly that he was on his third pick of projects before one stuck. The first two took so long for him to plan and put into words on the workbook, that the organizations who were to benefit just did them for themselves because they got tired of waiting. He took an entire year to figure out his project. That's all he did, figured it out, then it took another 6 months to finish it. That wore me out.

He finished his requirements and turned in his application 3 weeks before his 18th birthday. He wasn't terribly active before this, showing up intermittently to get help on the project. I make him promise me to give the troop 6 good months after he turned 18. He did and he's still attending, when a college course doesn't get in the way.

"Its my understanding that no one is allowed to add or take away from the requirements listed in the Handbook. It does not matter if we do not like the current requirements; its a matter of principle. Becoming an eagle in one unit should not be any harder or easier than becoming one in another unit.

Can this troop continue doing this or does your District just ignore them?"

The troop cannot add more requirements, like OGE stated correctly. It does look however to be an interpretation of the requirement for being active in your troop or patrol for 6 months after the last rank.