New Bear DL, Membership Chair, PR Chair, Camping Chair from Carson City, NV....

Hi Everyone,

My name is Susan and I live in Carson City, NV. I have been Membership and Public Relations Chair for Pack 837 for about a year now and I am taking over my son's den as Bear Den Leader. I formerly coached ice skating for about 15 years before I got sick and had to quit, so I am used to kids and boys because I also taught beginner hockey. I have always loved scouting. I remember when I used to look through my brother's old Cub Scout books and I would set up camp in the backyard. I was excited when I was a Brownie and then crushed because none of the girls wanted to go up to Girl Scouts. This summer we are going to both day camp and family camp and looking forward to so much fun this year! For me I have taken BALOO, and every online training there is. I am considering Wood Badge, but right now my health is still a concern. I am better, but still not up to par yet. I am learning so much by reading on these forums. Thanks for having me here!

You sound like a very valuable Cub Scout volunteer.

It's relatively rare for a Cub Pack to have a Publicity and Membership Chair. Are those positions regularly filled by your pack or are they positions you created when you filled them?

May I ask what kinds of activities you did as Publicity and Membership Chair?

Seattlepioneer,

It was a position in the committee members positions that my Cubmaster had. I was passionate about recruiting because when my son wanted to sign up for scouts, the Pack associated with his school did not return calls and it was tough to get a hold of anyone. When I finally got a hold of someone and went to a Pack meeting, I wasn't greeted and I was treated like an outsider. I finally found this Pack after searching on the internet. It was tough to get a hold of them, but I was able to get through. My son's Tiger year was tough because I was very ill. Then I decided to get on board because I did not want a parent to go through what I went through. What I do is do the usual Spring and Fall recruiting. I also set up a table at our fundraisers, this time at our Garage Sale. I make the flyers for the events to bring in the public. When my son sets up his popcorn table, we also set up a little recruiting table. This works, he signed up a scout last year. I usually set up old Pinewood cars, Raingutter Regatta boats, birdhouses. I made a little stand with patches one could earn. The good news is that this year we have an awesome District Exec. and he is letting the Packs that are go getters with recruiting choose their schools! Of course this has turned into now Den Leader for my son's Den and probably Pack Trainer too. Our Pack is a small and growing Pack and everyone wears many hats!(This message has been edited by suzisk8)