I would hope the Scoutmaster would not resign - and I don't think anyone is asking him to - The Scoutmaster is threatening to resign if the Scout (more likely the Scout's mother) appeals. This is why my suggestion is to talk to the Scoutmaster and get him to a) calm down and b) understand that the Scout and parent have the right to appeal and he can not do anything about it - he can resign if he wishes but it doesn't change anything. If he is insistent on resigning if the appeal happens, then sadly accept the resignation and move on.

Ed - just wanted to point out that in some states, graffiti CAN be a felony. It accelerates to the felony level based on dollar amounts (often $500) or based on a multitude of sites. A lot of things that used to be misdemeanors are now felonies - and some of those things are the stupid things kids sometimes do (not defending the pipe bomb thing - just stating that we've often lost sight of intent in our laws nowadays). There are even states where going 15 mph over the posted speed limit might be considered a felony.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

baden,

Since this has been a hear-say story, did you find out if there was an investigation by the law? What happens if he was stopped for speeding and he had firecrackers and a pipe in his car by accident? What happens if someone else made it and it was meant to inflict harm on him? What happens if he made it to hear a big explosion in the woods horse-play joke? What happens if he meant to harm somebody else? Why is the Mother defending him if he is not guilty? Why are the others condemning him for something they believe to be associated with a crime? Do we wrongly judge anybody holding a bomb these days?

fb

I think you should pass the kid. Look at the genes he got from his dear mother. She is one dim bulb.

Hey lady when your son commits a felony in a post Sept.11th ,post Timothy McVeigh world and gets caught with a potentially dagerous item you should really shut up!

Kudos to the SM. Though I would not resign because I do not let those who are inferior to me shape my destiny. The lad is not inferior, I burned my share of blackpowder as a lad. I also wasn't a Scout at the time. The mom needs a psych eval. Hey lady let's raise heck about this maybe we could give the local newspaper a call and you could tell them how Mr. Scouter is picking on "Billy the potential Bomber".

Let's see obedient to the laws of my community, that's somewhat important here. The lad's judgement is in question. What kind of product came from this character factory?????????

Anybody that would pass a felon in an Eagle BOR without some sort of time served beyond the major judgement lapse really doesn't know what the Eagle Award is. Yes Calico, no where does it say that he can't. They leave it up to the SM.The CO picks the SM based on his judgement in dealing with the boys in his Troop. All of Scouting is based on the CO. I live in a small town where everybody knows everything. Our CO would not be happy to say, "Here's our best and brightest shining star"

Give the kid a year, if he's an angel and truly remorseful the SM will know it.

If he does something again he won't be able to vote, own a firearm, sign for a loan, you name it. For good reason a felony stays with you forever.

What is the kid really like? Does the kid live in a rural area where he could have blown the thing off in a benign area? He has a LNT issue. Or does the kid live in a tight suburban or urban community where there is no benign area? Was the thing loaded with powder and a fuse? I think it would be tough to call it a felony for two threaded caps and a 3" diam by 6" nipple not put together. First glance makes you think the thing was loaded and fuse installed why else plead guilty?

The folks on the BOR did the boy a favor and saved him more embarassment.

Oj Simpsom, Slick Willie lying on 60 minutes before the election(his wife, my Senator lied too.) and wagging that bent finger of his after he got caught again---the world has really changed.

With repect to you but not to your sense of right and wrong I totally disagree with the following:

The issue here isn't the lads felony conviction.

The issue here is that the Board of Review refused to perform their duty. It sounds like the Board was trying to do right by Scouting and this Scout but went about it in the wrong way.

I read it a few times and I think you are dead wrong!

It was a vast right wing conspiracy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Record expunged??? Just let this kid apply for a handgun permit or a security clearance for the military we'll see how expunged it is.

"Mr. Scouter never told me that I wasn't really supposed to make a pipe bomb. I never saw where it said that in the Scout handbook."

Mom said, "They're picking on my Jimmie we'll get a lawyer and sue you all!"

We really are in the last days.

Seeing as how the board of review determines whether or not the Eagle rank is awarded, I fail to see the purpose in refusing to hold the review?? What was the purpose of having the boy appear as scheduled only to tell him to go home? Why didn't they just phone him and say "no BOR for you kid, tough luck"?

If this kind of "review" is OK, maybe we could disense with the BOR for the good kid that everybody knows is Eagle material. Just greet him at the door and say "we don't need to bother with a BOR for you, we decided you're an Eagle, congratulations. Now go home."

There were days (not too long ago) where SHAME would have kept the kid from even asking. That would have come from the mother and been taught in the HOME.

Unfortunately for this kid he has neither

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

You know who said it--------have we lost this?

It's late: let's add some gallows humor!

Sienfeld's Soup Nazi would have known how to handle this:

"No board for you...next!

The mom must have seen the episode where George gives the cleaning lady the cashmere sweater with the red spot on it.

They have a situation after work...the boss fires him for such action caught on tape..."You never spefically said that was prohibited, because if you did, I would not have done that."

Unfortunately the title, "Eagle Scout" does not mean what it used to. It has been cheapened. I was confronted at work by a parent who said, "it's all BS...there is a kid in my son's troop whose dad and grandfather built a park bench while he was away at summer camp in order to beat the 18 year old limit. Everyone knew about it, but the EBOR gave it to him anyway." Today's teens and their parents have the mindset of "get it any way you can." Cheating in school is rampant, and they think nothing of breaking the rules. They only regret it when they get caught. Of course we have excellent role models like Kennedy, Murtha, Clinton, Foley, etc.

What's happened to our standards, when the ranks are spoon-fed through mass meritbadge mills and parents doing the work for them? In my opinion, if a scout is convicted of a felony, he has forfeited his right to the Eagle rank.

Sorry for the rant...

That may be, or not. How would anyone know if no board of review was held? Surely one would not decide based on hearing no evidence?

Knowing what you know about this Scout, would you pass him at his Eagle BOR, FScouter?

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

uz2bnowl,

Your insinuation that my political opinion is based on drug usage is inappropriate and reflects poorly on your ability to control your anger. You may state your political opinion as you see fit but engaging in personal affronts will only keep us from enjoying each others company later. fb