Eagle service project not for a non-profit organization

I'm District Advancement Co-chairman, and I'm looking for some reference material. One of the Scouts in my North Florida district has proposed an Eagle service project for an organization which is not a "non-profit" organization, although he states that they are seeking this designation. From the Scout's proposal: "a therapeutic horseback riding corporation. They use horses and other activities around the farm to aid autistic and handicapped children." He wants to build moveable stairs and some other aids for helping these children. The Council is balking because there's no official non-profit designation, but the project looks like a good "community service" project. So here's the question: does BSA have documentation that says only non-profits can benefit from Eagle service projects? Can anyone show me projects done for other than non-profits? I've been a Scoutmaster and all 4 of my sons are Eagles, and I've never faced this situation! Thanks. Joe Wiggs... you can respond to joe@joewiggs.com if you wish not to append to the forum.

Wiggs,

Greetings!

I do not have my advancement manual with me currently, but below is a direct quote from the Eagle Service Project Workbook, the paragraph titled Limitations. It does not say anything about non-profit status. It does state that the project cannot be conducted for a business.

I recently had a Life to Eagle Scout candidate, whom submitted a Eagle Scout Service Project which was on a razor thin line description. The benefactor was a business, but all proceeds beyond operating cost (again all proceeds), went directly back into our community.

I would expect that there are many organizations that are applying for tax exemption. The project workbook would have to pass the review of the Scoutmaster, A unit committee member, and the Council (or delegated District) Advancement Chair.

My question is. Does the profit go to the owners and management of the farm? If they are marketing towards handicapped therapy, Does the farm make enough profit to install stairs and aids themselves? Questions like these should be the deciding factor for the committee and the Council/District Advancement Chair.

...On a totally unrelated story, but I'd like to tell it anyways. Years ago my young sons cried that they wanted a puppy. We drove down to the local puppy farm. Nothing but mutts they were passing off as purebred (it was hilarious). Anyway, every time I said "puppy farm" the lady farm owner kept saying "we are an animal rescue shelter!". I laughed for days, and we definitely did not get a dog from them. I guess they hung that title on their non-profit documentation....

Limitations

Routine labor (a job or service normally rendered) should not be considered. Work involving council property or other BSA activity is not permitted. The project also may not be performed for a business or an individual, be of a commercial nature, or be a fund-raiser. (Fund-raising is permitted only for securing materials or supplies needed to carry out your project.)

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

Im familiar with this type of program as my adult brother is developmentally disabled. Typically, these programs are on small family farms so they tend to keep the price of the program enough to cover staff, insurance, feed and tack.

I would suggest that this candidate talk to a representative of your community ORC or whatever community support organization exists. The riding stable may know. He may be able to get direct sponsorship from the organization instead of the farm.

Im sure that the project will allow greater use of the facility and help keep the cost of the riding stables low.

Great idea!

Ask you council advancement volunteers for the reference material they use to determine whether a project is worthy for the Eagle rank.

Non-profit is too simplistic. Lots of non-profit groups would be not be acceptable for an Eagle project: BSA, ACLU, NRA. This horse project sounds like a good example of a worthy project that is not for a non-profit.

The Eagle workbook and the Advancement Committee Policies book would be primary reference sources. Neither mention non-profit.

Credentials: My adult brother is a "developementally challenged" member of The ARC. My cousin and her husband own a farm/stable where they host 'challenged' riders at least twice a week in Frederick County, MD. They have a very wheelchair friendly set up, which I think they built , with volunteeer help, themselves. The horses are trained to sidle up to a 'dock' where the rider is helped into the saddle. Volunteers then help walk the horse and rider around the corral. And the look on the faces of those kids (and some not so young)!!

Try this: Go to the agency that brings the riders. My cousin RARELY sees a family bring their challenged kin privately to ride. Ask if you can build the dock/ramp/steps for them to use at the stable of their choice. It would naturally be left there for use. Put a placcard on it : "Presented to The XYZ Agency of Clove County by Eagle Scout John Scout of Troop999" I'm sure the stable would accept this arrangement. This would eliminate any idea that the item had been made for a profitable place.

Ummmmm?

Another thought - having been in the non-profit sector for some time, there is customarily a raft of paperwork that has to be filed to attain that status. If your council sticks to their reading of the rules (and I agree with others here that their reading is incorrect), you could ask them for a copy of their filing. You don't need the whole thing, just the one or two page cover document that goes with everything else. The IRS even accepts that as temporary proof of non-profit status for filing purposes.

I also like the idea of going to the agency.

Vicki

Wiggs, would your council also baulk at a service project to help a state or town park--neither of which are non-profit entities? How about a project that helps the scout's school?

Like the others, I'd be asking for the council's official documentation showing that the project must be for a non-profit only--sounds like they're adding to the requirements to me.

Update from original author: I really appreciate all the support and ideas, and I agree that this seems to be a very worthwhile project. I've asked the SM to do more research on the prospective recipient. What I'm faced with from the District, and I'm not sure of responsibility level since I've only been here a year, is having the Limitations paragraph from the Service Project Workbook quoted back to me: "The project also may not be performed for a business or an individual..." Since this is a "business," it's being disqualified since a business is "for profit." Additionally, I've been told that unless it's non-profit or charitable organization, it violates "national rules." Does anyone know where these "national rules" are documented? I have not given up on this, as I said above. We'll see what the SM finds about the "business," and whether it is in the process of changing tax status. Also, the suggestion of using the transportation company is interesting. I hate to see such a great idea get washed out!

"I've been told that unless it's non-profit or charitable organization, it violates 'national rules.' "

Ahhh, the infamous "national" rears it's ugly head once again. Or so they would have you believe. The "national rules" refrain is a favorite one used to instill fear. It's usually invoked to defend an indefensible position.